Sitting down to eat...

peteyfoozer

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
SE Oregon
A lot of the meaties are sitting while they eat. Is this normal? Are they just fat, dumb and happy or are they having the infamous leg problems I hear about? They do have access to food all the time, but they have to go aways to get it and they are free ranging in the back yard. Should I take it away at nite??

Yes take the food away at night time. they need to be with out food for around 12 hours. Doing this will help with the leg problems A LOT. How old are they?

Chicken Girl

They are 6 weeks old. They cruise all over the back yard, but a lot of them don't bother standing to eat.

love the "knee mail" tag!

They will sit down to eat but it is not good for them. Raise the feeder up to a level that they have to stand to eat.
smile.png
I usually take the food away for a couple of hours during the day and they have food for the whole time, of course they don't eat at night because it's dark.

Quote:
Mine must be strange chickens then because they eat at night! Because our temps have been so high - they are eating their food when it's cooler at night. I wouldn't normally think to put the food in there with them (I have red broilers from Ideal), but I have been...and it's gone every morning!

I raised it up, thanks for the tip! It has greatly improved their table manners.

They are EVERYWHERE today! It rained all yesterday afternoon and I was shocked to see them on the lawn about 50 ft from their favorite hangout this morning. ALL the chickens are out this morning...5 month and 6 week old layers and meaties...it looks like a chicken convention here!

Back
Top Bottom