1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sitting ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WmMike, Dec 19, 2015.

1. WmMike

WmMike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I have two Pekin who have decided that December is a good time to start sitting on their eggs.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Depending on what part of the country your in it may not be such a good idea. Keeping ducklings alive can present a problem if mama isn't attentive and you just never know with ducks. So if you decide to let them sit please have a brooder set up and ready when hatching gets started because there is always a chance you may have to bring those ducklings inside if they are to survive.

2 people like this.
  3. WmMike

WmMike Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Duck has been sitting since Early December so we should be getting close to hatching. I noticed today that the eggs are turning a dark blue color. Is this OK or as I think that are dead and just starting to spoil.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think very carefully you should do some candling eggs turning can mean dead or rotten. I say very carefully because if rotten the can explode if your not gentle.and another way to check

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by