sitting hen killed, can I try to hatch the eggs?

msshepherdess

Chirping
15 Years
Feb 17, 2007
I've been looking for the hen that I was suspicious was laying somewhere for several days. Finally found her today and something had killed her (probably a possum). I don't know how long she's been dead, possibly a couple of days. There were about 8 eggs next to her. If I make an incubator, what are the chances the eggs are still "hatchable"?

hhuuummm.......if she hadnt been nestingont hem they might. candle them and see what the inside looks like. im surprised if something killed her it didnt get the eggs. sure it wasnt a loose dog?

If you see any veining or if they are real dark and you can't see much except for the air cell then they had started the incubation process and it's a lost cause. If you don't see veining and you can see through the egg, chances are good you can hatch them.

I REALLY want to try this. She was a wild game hen that just flew into our yard one day several years ago. She's the only hen I ever had that wanted to sit and has hatched out several times, crossed with our naked neck rooster!!! He died and now someone gave us a Japanese silkie rooster. Can you imagine how cute they'd be?
Anyway, I'll have to wait till morning to get an incubator. What's the best way to keep them till then?

Back
Top Bottom