Sitting in Winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Courtney R, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Ok, well today I noticed one if my hens started sitting(or in the broody I think). A while ago I read somewhere that hens don't usually sit around winter because most of he chicks wont survive the cold. Should I let her keep the eggs or take them away... ?[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In the wild it is a little hard on a broody to raise chicks when snow is in the ground. That’s why they typically molt then and stop laying until spring. But you’re in Florida and your chickens are not wild. Any snow on the ground probably won’t last very long.

For a lot of us it is harder on a broody in the winter, though occasionally someone will post photos of a broody and her chicks playing in the snow. In Florida I’d go for it.

3. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Another reason chickens in the wild don't set eggs in the winter is because of the reduced availability of food. However, this is again not an issue with domestic chickens because they are provided as much food as they and their babies need by their keeper. I would say that if you want some chicks you should let her go for it. Just be sure she is setting them in a safe, sheltered spot.

4. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    I have a question. Ok so i convinced a hen to go broody a day ago its three days until christmas, and her eggs are due to hatch on the 10th. She is in a little box/cage thing, lots of room, in our barn, and she has lots of straw. My question is do we need a heat lamp. Btw she has a lot of different eggs Silkie, Rir, Black star, will this change anything, i got all of them from same day cause i don't want any hatching prematurly.

Thanks luvmypets [​IMG]

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you will eventually need a heat lamp and a separate area for your hen and chicks

6. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    they are in a seperate area in the Broody Box

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by