Sitting on eggs

blizzardfris

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
I have a hen sitting on a few eggs. Last time I had babies I moved them and mama once they hatched. Then about 4 weeks let them in with the general public. ( I have other hens, a rooster, and guineas) They were fine. I'm wondering if once these are hatched if I can leave them with the general public or do they need to be separated? Thanks!

I have a hen sitting on a few eggs. Last time I had babies I moved them and mama once they hatched. Then about 4 weeks let them in with the general public. ( I have other hens, a rooster, and guineas) They were fine. I'm wondering if once these are hatched if I can leave them with the general public or do they need to be separated? Thanks!
I leave mine in with the flock. Just observe them for a while and trust your own decision. Your hens might give the chicks a peck but if it doesn't draw any blood, then I wouldn't worry. I always feel more confident about it when the mother is high in the pecking order :)

I feel that the more exposure to a broody and chicks that a flock has the better the flock handles them. If a flock can't handle newly hatched chicks then that flock is headed towards extinction. That said I do leave mine hatch and grow up in the coop with out anything more then a creep with food and water that the chicks can reach.

It's so much easier to just leave them in. You don't have issues later with everyone getting to know each other, the chicks just grow up in the flock. I've not had a rooster attack chicks, usually they help defend them. As stated, some other hens may peck at the babies once in a while, but it's a "get out of my way, punk" thing and the chick runs off and the hen is happy. You need to be sure you have plenty of space, some hiding places are good for the babies, and be sure your feeder and water are accessible to the chicks.

I only separate things while they are hatching, if I catch it. The early hatches dry off and sometimes wander off, while the broody is still stuck tight to the nest. Then a layer could kill it.

I just lock the broody in the coup, and layers out of the coop for 12 hours or so..... it is usually the summer, so not a big deal.

But I am a fan of leaving them in with the flock, it is a lot less dinking around, the broody hen does not lose her pecking order, the other accept the chicks, and all grow together as a flock.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom