Six Chooks But Only 5 Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hendrix, Dec 10, 2010.

1. hendrix

hendrix New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    I've got 6 lovely healthy chickens but one of them (i don't know who LOL) is not laying. I can't figure it out! I've got 4 Austrolops that I think are all around the same age and two Reds which are crazy friendly. Who ever it is, has'nt laid for about a month now. If she was broody will she come out of it on her own or does it seem that maybe one of my chickens has gone off the lay?? Sorry if i've used the wrong terms but i hope someone understands what i'm on about LOL Thanks - Melissa x

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Are you sure you don't have different hens taking the day off throughout the week? Most hens don't lay an egg every single day. And now that the days are shorter, egg production usually declines a bit.

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I agree with SparksNV- I had six girls (down to 4 now) and never, ever had a 6 egg day in two years! I had 5 egg days several times and they were red letter days because they were only about twice a month- mostly 4 egg days. Sooooo - your girls are doing great at 5 a day- congrats! [​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Only twice have I had the same number of eggs as chickens. The stars just rarely align that well.

I tell you what, though, I jealous. I'm getting 2 out of 8 right now.

5. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Five for Six sounds great to me..... We have four and are only getting one egg a day for the last few weeks.

6. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Gosh! Don't complain about 5 eggs from 6 hens! We have 14 and we're only 1 to 4 eggs a day since thanksgiving! And these are young girls,maybe 9 months old and showing no signs of molting.

Larry

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    yep, i've got 4 girls, and only 1 egg a day now. next winter will be better since i plan on getting 8 more chickens this spring! [​IMG] chickens are so easy to love! [​IMG]

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

5 out of 6??? That is awesome... don't forget it is winter..I have 9 gilrs..3 not laying age yet, 3 molting, 1 broody so I am lucky if I get 2 a day..usually 1 or none...but they have been great layers in the past. So I would thank the girls...

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have 5 girls and today, was the first time I got more than one egg, in almost a month!

I agree, All of your hens are probably laying but they are taking turns -taking a break .. Enjoy your bounty!

10. hendrix

hendrix New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    Wow! Sounds like i've got me some wonderful hens [​IMG] I'm in Australia so it's summer now and the days are longer. Thank you so much for the replies, it really gives me some perspective and i'm a little more in love with my girls now too!LOL I hope all of your chookies and others are all going as well xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by