Size Different's in Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grimreaper, Dec 15, 2011.

1. grimreaper

grimreaper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Cozad, Nebraska
    I purchased 2 Barred Rocks in july. the question I have is that 1 of them has grow to be about 6lbs and the other is only about 2.5 lbs. The larger one has started laying eggs which was strange to me because I was sure she was a rooster. so why is there such a size different's in the 2 hen's

2. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    I have some screwnie RIR's and some not scrawnie. I guess it depends the breeding??

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Difference is size between two birds, roughly the same age, is explained in many ways.

Genetic difference. One is from a large frame genetic background and the other is not. You cannot know the parent stock and on backward for generations.
    Pecking order. Sometimes a smaller bird gets shoved down the pecking order and that has consequences as to feed intake.
    Failure to thrive. Some birds simply do not thrive and in a professional flock or commercial flock, such runts are often culled.
    Rarely, it is simply a matter of one being a late bloomer, although this is somewhat more rare.

These and other reasons explain the difference in one bird being large and another small. A Barred Rock at 2 1/2 pounds, at that age, is really, really small. The SOP for BR hen is likely well over 5 pounds. Personally, I like a BR hen to be near 5 pounds minimum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by