Size genetics and Culling

Alex_Zurago

Chirping
May 6, 2021
Are exceptionally large breeds of show quality ever culled for being too big that they do not reflect their breed. Like a Brahma or Black Jersey Giant for example? I am looking for an exceptionally tall and heavy bird like a Black Jersey Giant and I am curious if anyone would cull for them being too large.

I don't know for sure, but here are things I do know or can reasonably guess:

For showing, you could check the Standard of Perfection for each breed.

It may list a desired weight, or a weight range, or a minimum weight, or a maximum weight. It will almost certainly be different for some breeds rather than others.

No matter what the Standard says, a breeder might keep a wrong-weight bird if it has good traits, and try to breed offspring that have those good traits and also a correct weight.

And if the breed just needs to be over a certain size, one breeder might try for the largest possible birds while another might cull the really big ones and focus on a more moderate size that still meets the standard.

And breeders who do not show chickens but who raise a particular breed because they like it, or because it's a good type of chicken for their purposes, might not pay much attention to the Standard of Perfection anyway. They may ignore certain details (like wrong-colored-feet or somewhat wrong size) while selecting for faster growth or earlier maturity or better egg production or roosters with a better temperament or whatever else is important to that particular person.

Breeding taller, shorter
High Station or low
Is easy to have control over through breeding. Not the actual parents physical attributes but through time of year

I don't know for sure, but here are things I do know or can reasonably guess:

For showing, you could check the Standard of Perfection for each breed.

It may list a desired weight, or a weight range, or a minimum weight, or a maximum weight. It will almost certainly be different for some breeds rather than others.

No matter what the Standard says, a breeder might keep a wrong-weight bird if it has good traits, and try to breed offspring that have those good traits and also a correct weight.

And if the breed just needs to be over a certain size, one breeder might try for the largest possible birds while another might cull the really big ones and focus on a more moderate size that still meets the standard.

And breeders who do not show chickens but who raise a particular breed because they like it, or because it's a good type of chicken for their purposes, might not pay much attention to the Standard of Perfection anyway. They may ignore certain details (like wrong-colored-feet or somewhat wrong size) while selecting for faster growth or earlier maturity or better egg production or roosters with a better temperament or whatever else is important to that particular person.
So theoretically if I find someone who breeds for shows for a Jersey Giant and they have a bird that's too big for the SOP I may potentially be able to buy that

So theoretically if I find someone who breeds for shows for a Jersey Giant and they have a bird that's too big for the SOP I may potentially be able to buy that
Theoretically, yes.

In practice, maybe.

Or you can just find a breeder and tell them what you've looking for.
They might be happy to sell you the biggest of their culls (wrong in some detail that doesn't matter to you, or the 3rd biggest if they are keeping the biggest two for breeding, or something like that.)

Back
Top Bottom