SIze of comb and wattles...

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a couple pics of my roo, Charles, and his comb etc. It seems to me that he is really well endowed with comb and wattles! Is this average for a BO roo.... He is a 9 months old Buff Orpington.
of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

I will have to try and get some better shots tomorrow. Right now he is on the way to becoming soup... might not be the easiest thing to get a nice pic with out being attacked. Now that you mention it he is a lot taller and rangier looking than most of the pics of Buff Orpington roos that I have seen. I just thought that it was because he is a hatchery bird and probably not the best breeding. I wouldn't mind trying some good BO stock ....

OK, here are a few pics of Charles in his tractor. I would be really interested in comments on how he compares to a well bred orp roo... so I know what they should look like next time round. I have a live one to look at right now so that will be a good way to look and learn. Thanks for the input... these are not the greatest shots but hopefully you can see enough to give me your thoughts
of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

I'd say he's very lean and rangy for a Buff Orp and that comb is way out of size for a Buff Orp. We see all sorts come from hatcheries these days. That's one reason that when I want to add more Buff Orps to my flock, I plan to get them from Jody here on BYC and from Julie in AL (BamaChicken).

With that size of comb and is that a little bit of white in his tail? I would guess he has some Leghorn in him some where. Here is my hatchery boy his comb isn't nearly as large and he also isn't what you'd want for a Buff Orp. He has a similar swayed back and leaness like yours. This is him about about 6 or 7 months so he's filled out a little bit more since then.

000_0057.jpg

000_0053.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom