1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Size of Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bantimna, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Yes, I've come up with once again a coop idea!
    This time I'm thinking of building a chicken coop right on top of a trailer which hasn't been used for sometime.

The measurements are 7ft wide and 11ft long, how many chickens should fit comfortably in this size coop?

Many Thanks!
    Sibonè

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    7 x 11=77 square feet divided by 4 sq feet (amount of space each chicken should have if heavy breed) = 19 chickens. If you had bantams you could have a few more. Now this calculation takes into account the chickens are going to have an outside run, not be in the coop 24/7. In the run you need 10 square feet per bird, and that is minimum! More is better, but for 19 chickens you would need a minimum of 190 square feet of run.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Wonderful! I'm hoping for more run space but I'll only be needing 8 hens. Meaning that 77ft of coop space will be large enough for 8 hens and 190sq ft of run space should provide plenty of space, and if my flock increases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by