Size of your waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, May 14, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Can you please share how much water your waterer holds? My husband made one out of PVC pipe and nipples, but by the looks of it, it will hold enough water ofr a day! Grrr...We have about 20 chickens (by the time the little ones get out there too). Thanks!

2. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    i use a 4 gallon dog waterer for 25 10 week olds. have to refill every 2 days.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have multiple waters, but it is hot hot hot and dry dry dry here.

I have an auto-waterer, which is for piece of mind during the 117 degree weather, but I also have a small horse trough with a fountain in it for ambient cooling and several flat 5 gallon waterers for them to wade in.

Overall, there is probably 8 or 9 pans I dump, rinse, and fill everyday. It takes a few minutes. What takes time is the stupid chick waterers. I HATE screwing those things and flipping them over. There is a 50% chance I will dump one on myself.

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
  5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Wonder if he can increase the capacity by hooking the PVC pipe to a larger bucket?

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I use a 4 gallon nipple bucket for 6 chickens, it lasts until I change it ( every 2 days) as we like them to have fresh water, but its still real real full after 2 days.

7. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I use a five gallon Dura Fount For 20 chickens and in the hot days I fill it every day, I put some cut 2x4's that are flat so the bedding material will not stop the flow. I also put it in the chicken yard. the rain gives me a helping hand on filling it.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I've got 3 waterers during summer (3 and 5 gallon metal ones) in the run and a 4 gallon plastic one outside the run for escapees (there's always a few every day that will not be contained).

In winter I only have 1 waterer, the metal 5 gallon one on a heated base in the coop.

I change them every other day until it gets really hot, then daily.

I've got somewhere "near" 40 chickens.

9. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have 2 2gallon waterers and 1 1gallon. I use the 2g ones for my older chickens outside, I have to fill them up every 2-3 days. And I use my 1g one for my younger ones (about 2-3 weeks old) and I fill that up like every 4-5 days.

10. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    We use empty cat litter buckets as nipple waterers- the big ones that hold 35 pounds of cat litter. I've never measured how much they hold, I just refill them as necessary. But I would guess they hold at least 5 or 6 gallons. These things are a lifesaver for us. The water stays very clean and we aren't refilling twice a day in hot weather. We have a flock of 36 adults.

Now, they do prefer to gulp their water like they did when they had a regular screw-on base waterer, but the nipple waterers work just fine. Goodness knows if it rains they run out in the yard and gulp down dirty rain water out of every puddle they can find [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by