Sizzle breeding

ElimAcres

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
Hi Everyone! Looking for some clarification on Sizzle breeding. If I breed a Silkie roo over a Frizzle hen ( frizzled hard feathering) what will the chicks be? My research has come up with all sizzles (frizzled Silkie feathering) or some sizzles, some frizzled, some just Silkie, etc. I'm so confused and just looking for a general percentage on chick feathering from this cross. Thanks for the help! My daughter acquired a frizzle hen this summer and is really wanting to breed some sizzles. 😃
IMG_20230608_130247913_HDR.jpg

If I breed a Silkie roo over a Frizzle hen ( frizzled hard feathering) what will the chicks be? My research has come up with all sizzles (frizzled Silkie feathering) or some sizzles, some frizzled, some just Silkie, etc. I'm so confused and just looking for a general percentage on chick feathering from this cross.

If the frizzle hen (frizzled hard feathering) does not carry the gene for silkie feathers, you will get:
50% chicks with frizzled hard feathering
50% chicks with smooth hard feathering

If the frizzled hen does carry the gene for silkie feathers, you will get:
25% chicks with frizzled hard feathering
25% chicks with smooth hard feathering
25% chicks with frizzled silkie feathering
25% chicks with non-frizzled silkie feathering

If you want chicks with frizzled silkie feathering, cross the hen & rooster and see what you get. If no chicks have the feathering you want, choose some frizzled hard feathered pullets and breed them back to your silkie rooster. That should give you chicks in the second group I listed above, with 25% having frizzled silkie feathers.

Once you have any birds with frizzled silkie feathers, breed them to birds with normal silkie feathers. That will give you chicks that all have silkie feathers, with half being frizzled and the other half not frizzled.

If the frizzle hen (frizzled hard feathering) does not carry the gene for silkie feathers, you will get:
50% chicks with frizzled hard feathering
50% chicks with smooth hard feathering

If the frizzled hen does carry the gene for silkie feathers, you will get:
25% chicks with frizzled hard feathering
25% chicks with smooth hard feathering
25% chicks with frizzled silkie feathering
25% chicks with non-frizzled silkie feathering

If you want chicks with frizzled silkie feathering, cross the hen & rooster and see what you get. If no chicks have the feathering you want, choose some frizzled hard feathered pullets and breed them back to your silkie rooster. That should give you chicks in the second group I listed above, with 25% having frizzled silkie feathers.

Once you have any birds with frizzled silkie feathers, breed them to birds with normal silkie feathers. That will give you chicks that all have silkie feathers, with half being frizzled and the other half not frizzled.
Thank you SO MUCH! This was such a thorough and we'll explained answer. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to educate me on this subject. 👏 I will relay this info to my daughter so she can plan her breeding program for next year.

Back
Top Bottom