Sizzle standard.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jferlisi, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So my silkies and fizzled cochin are not at an old enough age to breed them and was wanting to know if anyone knew of where i could find the standard for the sizzle. If you can either post to for me or let me know what im looking for to keep and what im culling for. Thanks.

2. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    A "sizzle" is a cross between a Silkie and a Frizzle. It is a mix breed, a mongrel. By definition there can be no standard until they begin to breed true, i.e. reproduce consistently, which takes generations of birds, and years of work. Until that time, no organization will entertain their recognition, so no standard exists. Even a working standard is an impossibility until breeders decide which traits to select for, and concentrate them so that the birds will breed true.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are people who have been working on sizzles for generations. While there is no recognised standard for sizzles, many have a working standard. In general, a sizzle is a bird that has all silkie features EXCEPT feathering. There are some who will say sizzles must have frizzled non-silkied feathers, and others who also want to include "smooth" sizzles--those who have non-silkied, non-frizzled feathers. The reasoning for this is that you need to breed to non-frizzled birds to prevent curleys (two copies of the frizzle gene), and you do not want silkied feathers, so breeding back to a silkie is not a good idea, either.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Thank you for this. I know that there is no standard since they are a work in progress, so i was hoping someone who is breeding to create them has a "standard" that they are breeding too, in hopes i could follow this standard so that its not like everyone is trying to breed for sizzles and no one has the same traits. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by