sizzles or cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by janieschicks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. janieschicks

janieschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Hi,
    My little curlies are getting bigger, but Im starting to think they may be sizzles instead of frizzled cochins? What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Is there a silkie in the heritage? Count the toes for a quick check.

If not, they are frizzled cochins.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. janieschicks

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    No, they are missing the extra toe. In the photos I was looking at of cochins, I didnt see the big top hair tuff like these have. [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Some frizz cochins do have a little tuft, but you are right: these guys' is rather pronounced. I suppose they could be missing the extra toe if there was silkie in the background, but I kindof doubt it. SOME silkie trait ould have made it through: dark sin, the comb, toe, something. Even my 1/4 silkie frizzle had extra toes.
    [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Those are sizzles, not pure cochin. If they are mising toes or other silkie features (ecept feathering), then they need to be bred to a smooth with the correct features or a silkie.

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    It might not have the extra toe because (as far as I know) having five toes isn't a completely dominant trait.

7. janieschicks

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    Thank you! I am so happy that I have sizzles!
    That was my goal for my breeding program!

8. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have chicks I have hatched from the same Silkie/Cochin parents. Some look more like Cochins and some more like Silkies. Out of four that hatched the first time, I have two with 5 toes and 2 with 4 toes. Same parents. The 5-toed birds definitely look more like Silkies now that they are grown. They others definitely look more like Cochins. I think you can get a mix of both breeds. Don't you just love Frizzles??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by