skiddish runner ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AHappychick, Jan 9, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont understand I hatched these silly ducklings and feed and care for them every day. I used to hold one a few times a day because it was the only one that seemed to like it but then I got the flu and missed 2 days and now it struggles and squawks like the rest. I try to spend time with them but whenever I walk in the room they all huddle together in the farthest corner. They relax after I sit still for a few minutes but the second I move they are back in the corner. My chicks on the otherhand have never been super friendly but are not nearly bothered by my presence and I hold them very little if at all. I thought they would have imprinted on me somewhat... Are they always like this?

2. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I keep my ducks and chickens together, and the chickens will come to me and let me hold them. The ducks, on the other hand, are incredibly skittish. They were all raised in the same environment and see me a few times a day. The ducks will break their necks to get away from a person. This leads me to believe that they are just naturally skittish. Theey are great egg layers, though so I dont mind!

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My chickens were skittish until we put them out in the coop, and then they became very friendly.

My ducks...not so much. I thought they would become more friendly as time went on....but not so much.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks run in terror whenever they see ANYONE. Of course, I got them as adults and only 2 weeks ago at that. They are mellowing, but what you are describing is duck behavior. Don't take it personal. I would keep holding the friendlier one anyway.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    This is the problem with people getting ducks without fully understanding their nature. They aren't lap animals. Some do imprint and become valued pets, but as a whole they do not want to be held, touched, or pet. I have had well over 50 ducks and only one ever let me hold or pet him, but he is mentally and physcially handicapped. It depends on you and the personality of the duck. Obviously yours are just the normal ducks.

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    this amateur can only agree with the above. ducks have a natural shyness which has never been bred out of them.

among the most skittish breeds (remember, scovies are not a breed--they are a different SPECIES altogether, which is different), that is, the mallard-mutants, are the (Khaki) Campbell and the Indian Runner. So say those who know more than I.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  7. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I agree - ducks are not for being handled. the only time I have picked one of the many ducks I have had was when she was hurt and not well enough to run away! They get used to people and tolerate them but will always get out of the way when you approach - it is just the way they are!

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh ok just as long as its normal and not something I did. I dont mind I am not really a cuddler of animals (at least not often lol)

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    runners are esp skittish. mine went from begging to be held as babies, to running away. I kept up on my loving on them, and they now enjoy it. My duck victor likes to snuggle and have his head rubbed. My other duck mingmei onlt likes to either stand by you or stand on your lap (not pet). she will give a hug (where she rests her head on your shoulder) but only if she wants to. i'd keep up your daily loving on your duckie.

10. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Ducks Like things on there own terms..... 99% Would rather not be touched by us icky humans or that is how mine act when I do handle them. They GRUMBLE and im sure are curseing me when they RUN full tilt to the water to get the human cooties off and then have to spend the next 2 hours going over every feather to get every bit of human off of them. So the ducks and I have come to a truce....... They will allow me to walk among them and not move ..... I can sit among them and they will cuddle up to my legs while sitting and some will allow me to pet there heads and bodys as long as I don't ruffle the feathers. They will take treats from my hand and I decided that this is enough... Ducks are what they are.... And are the happiest being ducks not lap pets. NOW my geese are a diffrent story ........ They will plop there big selfs in my lap and search me for the treats they know are hiding in there lol
    but..... Mine are a bunch of spoiled bratz!!!!! And this is not normal goose behavior [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by