Skiddish silkies!

smoon

Chirping
Apr 27, 2016
Hi all, I bought my first flock of pet chickens (as chicks) this March and they are now 21 weeks old. I wanted my chickens to be my pets so after a TON of research about the friendliest chicken breeds, I decided to buy ten silkies to be my main pets and a few black australorps (just for a few eggs). After five months of spending hours a day with my chickens, feeding them treats, and trying my best to befriend them, I've concluded that my silkies are not EVER going to be very friendly! They never come up to me, wont eat out of my hand, they run from me like I've hurt them (which I've never done), and if I pick them up they struggle and squawk and shreak until I put them down. I don't have a friendly silkie out of the whole group. My black Australorps, on the other hand, all fight over who gets to be in my lap. They follow me around the yard like puppies and chatter the whole way. I'm just a little disappointed with my silkies, since I had read in so many places that they are supposed to be the gentlest of chicken breeds. Did I just get a bad group? Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience with silkies! They are cute as buttons but I don't know if I'll ever get any more.

A few pics of the silkie gang. They tolerate my presence from a distance but that's about it!

Where did you get them? And out of my 4 silkies I only have one that can't stand people, two are very nice but won't voluntarily come up to you and the last one thinks he's my lap dog.

Back
Top Bottom