Skinny chicken

You can find Permethrin poultry dust or spray at TSC. You need to treat him and your other birds asap. Clean out their housing and treat it as well. Do this in 7 day intervals.

I’ve been giving him water and food but he still refuses to do both. The day we found the bug we bathed him and got rid of some of them but it’s been to cold to bathe him again so the bugs are coming back and becoming more. I don’t know what to do anymore but we’ve cleaned his house out and poured boiling water in all the cracks so hopefully the bugs are gone.
Where are you located in the world?

If the bugs are coming back and becoming more, then it's time to get permethrin to treat him and the housing, plus any other birds you have.

You mention it's cold, so are you in AU? In cold weather, dusting birds would be a good idea. Look for Battle's Mite/Lice powder or similar. Your feed or pet store may have a permethrin based product that can be used.

I’ve been giving him water and food but he still refuses to do both. The day we found the bug we bathed him and got rid of some of them but it’s been to cold to bathe him again so the bugs are coming back and becoming more. I don’t know what to do anymore but we’ve cleaned his house out and poured boiling water in all the cracks so hopefully the bugs are gone.
I hope your roo will be ok.

Check his coop tonight and look on the bottom of the roost pole where he sleeps. Let us know if you find tiny red bugs. It's important to check at night, as that is when red mites will feed.

Your roo looks like he is in a critical state and you may lose him, especially if there are red mites. Keep him hydrated and offer food and water at all times. It's best to let him drink on his own, but you can use an eye dropper on the side of his beak. Let him absorb a few drops and then wait for him to swallow, then you can put a few more drops etc. But never force him, as it is easy for them to aspirate. Does he normally have 24hr access to both food and water?

Have you tried the poultry dust? You can also get some diatomaceous earth - food grade.
Don't use a duster, you will need to cake it on 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick on all cracks, walls and roost poles, and put at least 8 cups of the stuff into the bedding as well. You have to use it like you would spread mortar for bricks. That is how thick it needs to be, or it will not work during an infestation. Wear your mask and some gloves and expect to come out covered in chalk like dust. You're going to need to clean out all bedding every 3 or 4 days and then repeat.
If you want something organic, you can use a product called pyganic specialty. It's expensive though, but it works to knock the bugs down quickly on the bird and in the coop. You can buy it online. There is also omnivore intensive care by emeraid you can feed him and you can purchase online. But do the other things that were mentioned in the previous posts for water and food in the mean time. He needs nutrition quickly.

If you have a vet you trust, he may need to go in to get some fluids. He is also likely anemic if there are red mites. From the pic and the description, this is the option I would choose at this time, as he likely needs the subq fluids and further assessment.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:
I hope your roo will be ok.

Check his coop tonight and look on the bottom of the roost pole where he sleeps. Let us know if you find tiny red bugs. It's important to check at night, as that is when red mites will feed.

Your roo looks like he is in a critical state and you may lose him, especially if there are red mites. Keep him hydrated and offer food and water at all times. It's best to let him drink on his own, but you can use an eye dropper on the side of his beak. Let him absorb a few drops and then wait for him to swallow, then you can put a few more drops etc. But never force him, as it is easy for them to aspirate. Does he normally have 24hr access to both food and water?

Have you tried the poultry dust? You can also get some diatomaceous earth - food grade.
Don't use a duster, you will need to cake it on 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick on all cracks, walls and roost poles, and put at least 8 cups of the stuff into the bedding as well. You have to use it like you would spread mortar for bricks. That is how thick it needs to be, or it will not work during an infestation. Wear your mask and some gloves and expect to come out covered in chalk like dust. You're going to need to clean out all bedding every 3 or 4 days and then repeat.
If you want something organic, you can use a product called pyganic specialty. It's expensive though, but it works to knock the bugs down quickly on the bird and in the coop. You can buy it online. There is also omnivore intensive care by emeraid you can feed him and you can purchase online. But do the other things that were mentioned in the previous posts for water and food in the mean time. He needs nutrition quickly.

If you have a vet you trust, he may need to go in to get some fluids. He is also likely anemic if there are red mites. From the pic and the description, this is the option I would choose at this time, as he likely needs the subq fluids and further assessment.

Good luck, keep us posted!
I checked on him this morning to feed him and I found him laying down dead in his coop.

Back
Top Bottom