Skinny llama

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by snewman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I am very worried about one of my llamas (I have three). Due to their thick winter coats, I didn't realize that one has gotten VERY thin over the past couple of months. He has always come eagerly to the hay with the others, they spread out and each munch on their own pile, and he hasn't seemed off in any way. But I just happened to run my hand down his back the other day and I can feel every bone! I'm now really worried. I then cornered the other two and checked their condition, and they are both fine. What could be wrong with him? They were wormed in the fall, and I'm going to do it again immediately, but are there other things that this could be? I hadn't been giving any grain, but went out and bought some right away and have been giving him several meals a day the last couple of days. He eats that eagerly, even desperately. Could he be having a problem eating/digesting the hay? He doesn't seem to be getting bullied, and I spread the hay out enough that no one can hog all the piles. I'm having the vet out, but what is the best way to get weight back on a llama, if we rule out parasites or other issues?

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Llamas get worms easily. I would take a fresh stool sample from him to the vet. LEt them check for parasites. The llama might have something the dewormer you are using is not getting.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I have alpacas that get a grain mix (1/2 cup) 2 times a day. Plus added minerals. Could your boy be vitamin deficient? How old is he?

4. snewman

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    He's six. I suppose he could be vitamin deficient. Would that cause extreme weight loss? I have a mineral block in with them, but I don't know how much they use it.

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I will find the website to the company I order from. I forget what compatibilities alpacas and llamas have in digesting nutrients, etc. I believe it is copper that is a BIG no-no to alpacas. I would think your other two llamas would show signs of weakness if it was the case.

Parasites are prevalent everywhere. Someone sent me info on barber worm pole (sp?) which is deadly. Alpacas and llamas can get cocci...but your worming program should have nipped that in the bud this fall. I'll keep looking...

6. snewman

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Great, thanks for your help! Yes, I think it's strange that just one is so thin. If it was parasites or mineral deficiency I would think they'd all be affected. I'll see what the vet has to say too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by