Skittish chicks... They can be tamed.

I right now have 2 Bantam sized chicks that are a month old. They are tiny and they are very active. I am keeping them in my Cockatiels old cage it is a good sized cage. I am afraid I have spolied them rotten though with grape tomato's and other veggies......they now let me know ehn they want food.....LOL. I just pray to God that they are both hens because I have 2 Roosters already and can not have any more.

Quote:
I hope your bantams are hens too! I have a 3.5 week mille fleur that still has a yellow smaller comb. I hope mine is a hen too. We are allowed roosters, but my neighbor and I are being threatened if we keep a rooster. She says she will call the police. Ugh, it should be my decision, not hers. We don't really have a limit either to how many hens or roosters we keep.

I picked up my 5, 4 week old chicks yesterday. They are very skittish at the moment. I want them to be comfortable being held and picked up. Right now they hide in the nesting boxes when I approach the coop. Are there special treats I can use for "rewards"? I have read you shouldn't feed you baby chicks anything but starter feed (I do have some chic grit if I can feed them a treat or two) until they are much older. Thoughts?
I did pet them when we were in the car on the ride home and they seemed to like that :)

My guess is patience is the key? Thanking you all in advance for thoughts

Serenity~:frow

Here is my remodeled coop..you can see the original before some upgrades as well as my new Chickies! DSCF2247.JPG DSCF2246.JPG DSCF2259.JPG DSCF2255.JPG

Back
Top Bottom