skittish chicks..

Age helps too. I noticed it with my first group-they all became much calmer once they got closer to maturity/egg laying age. I have a group of almost 16 week olds now and I almost gave the SLW away several times as she was acting completely neurotic every time anyone even thought about handling her. She would shriek and run away and then just scream bloody murder when you finally caught her until you put her back down. 6-8 weeks later she is the most confident of my little group. Yesterday she decided to would be alright to come check out what I was doing in the yard. So, they change a little with age too.

None of mine are super cuddly per se but they all know who feeds them and lets them out of the coop
gig.gif

When they are on their table, they are closer to eye level with you.  They aren't being approached from above by big monsters coming at them from over their heads. This is all a big, new, scary, world and they have lot to learn in a short amount of time.  Being an "overhead predator", which they are pre-programmed to avoid in any way possible, doesn't do much to inspire confidence.  

Relax, treats at eye level whenever possible, slow easy movements, and often just sitting tight and letting them come to you will work wonders.

ITA! My first batch had a semi-portable brooder that had 4 solid sides and a wire lid that opened. They moved from that to their coop. Those chicks didn't calm down until they were in their coop. The next batch was reared in a coop-brooder with a full side that opens and a wire run. All of my interaction with them was at their level. Huge difference! So, that's what I do now. I just sit down by them to interact and they view me as protection rather than a predator.

When they are on their table, they are closer to eye level with you.  They aren't being approached from above by big monsters coming at them from over their heads. This is all a big, new, scary, world and they have lot to learn in a short amount of time.  Being an "overhead predator", which they are pre-programmed to avoid in any way possible, doesn't do much to inspire confidence.  

Relax, treats at eye level whenever possible, slow easy movements, and often just sitting tight and letting them come to you will work wonders.

ITA! My first batch had a semi-portable brooder that had 4 solid sides and a wire lid that opened. They moved from that to their coop. Those chicks didn't calm down until they were in their coop. The next batch was reared in a coop-brooder with a full side that opens and a wire run. All of my interaction with them was at their level. Huge difference! So, that's what I do now. I just sit down by them to interact and they view me as protection rather than a predator.

Yes that's what the deal was here. But now I have my 4 weeks in a side opening pen. Hopefully I can get them more socialized soon.

Back
Top Bottom