Skunk Attack!!

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
In all the years I have owned a dog I have NEVER had one sprayed by a skunk. Until last night.

We heard our BC Connor barking at , what we thought was a cat. Until his bark changed from a "CAT CAT CAT" bark to a "WHAT ARE YOU?" bark. I told my husband to get him in but it was too late. Connor got it in the chest. Luckily not his face.

Of course I immediately think 'Tomato" Tell Connor "Tub" and dh brings me Chunky Pasta sauce!! LOL So the dog had veggies in his coat. Let that sit, send dh to computer to look up other remedies. Comes back with Hydrogen Peroxide,dish detergent and baking soda*good thing I bought some the other day for cookies*

That seemed to work. But I have to admit it was funny. I felt so bad for Connor. And told him no barking at the black and white cat.
roll.png
It happened at the end of the steps going to the back yard.

So. Will skunks kill chickens? I have always knows we have one(2) in the neighborhood. We also have a family of raccoons which my cat is "friendly" with.
roll.png

Generally no with adult birds. Skunks cant climb and cant get a bird off the roost and they are relatively slow runners. Chicks and eggs? Yes if the opportunity arises. Spray though will do SOMETHING (I dont know what) to hens that will stop them from laying for 2-3 weeks. I mean RIGHT NOW stop. Had that happen once to me.

The peroxcide mix works pretty well, but you may still need to do the wash a couple of times to get it ALL out <g>.

My poor dog got hit once right in the face. I was getting ready to go to work, and was about to let her in from "doing her morning thing" and there she was, standing on the back step looking pitiful - still had droplets of spray standing on her face and head - it was SO bad.

You know what though? she still tried to bark and go after the "bad kitties" even after all of that. Stoopid dog.

LOL -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom