Skunk encounters... an entertaining story...

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
So I wanted to get out to the chicken coop before the friendly skunks come out for their evening prowl. These skunks are like kitties... seriously. they just walk around us as we're out there etc... whacky skunks!

Last week they were in our trash can, one went in through a hole in the trash can and then couldn't get out and was squeaking up a storm. DH had to get it out, LOL!

So tonight I go out a little too late and there is the stupid skunk in front of me... so I try and shoo it away and it walks more toward the coop! GRR! So then I remember that I just put food in the coop for the chickens... and watch the skunk go around to the chicken door. I see the chickens looking down making a fuss. Greaaaat, now the skunk is IN the coop! So DS hears me say that and starts flipping out... I'm sad!!!!!!!! The skunk is going to eat my Rhubarb!!!!!!!!!
tongue.png
I go put DS to bed and DH goes out to try and get the skunk out. he had to go in the coop (4x4ft) space... and he figured if he took the pan of food out then the skunk would follow. Oh no. the skunk just kept sniffing around! so DH gets the shovel and tries to fish out the skunk LOL! but it was useless because the skunk was afraid of DH... finally he got the skunk out. meanwhile it begins to pour... Dh could have pet the skunk, the skunk was eating the food and DH took the food pan from the skunk, LOL!

Good thing our skunks are ultra friendly because for sure DH would have been sprayed in that scenario. But this skunk could care less! I guess I really need to get out there before skunk time, I really tried!

While that is funny and entertaining, I'd be on guard for rabies.. Keep an eye on those skunks, If you see them staggering or acting stranger than they already are, you may want to call them in to animal control..

I would be totally tempted to treat those cuties as pets, but I've also got a Big fear of needles, an those rabies treatments involve a LOT of needles!! Good luck, and I hope they remain cuties and don't become more of a problem!

LOL! Rabies... didn't think of that one! Well they've been around for a long long time and have always acted this way. I think if they're acting this way because of rabies that they'd be showing rabies symptoms by now... Every year these skunks are around. They like to get in everyones trash. My guess is that they're around people so much that they are just accustomed to people. but I shall watch for rabies regardless
smile.png

You want a non-lethal way to get rid of skunks? Spray them with a water hose. Really. Skunks like to be the spray-ers, not the spray-ees. The first time I tried this meathod my wife could hardly stand she was laughing so hard. I was chasing the poor skunk all over the yard with a garden hose. The skunk was so paniced that it was running blindly into trees and fence posts and never once spraying in self defence. I wish she had had a video! The person who told me about it said to use hornet spray as the skunk would later try to clean itself by licking it's fur thereby poisoning itself and die somewhere else than my property. I don't like the idea of poison so I tried the waterboard meathod. The bottom line is the skunk hated being sprayed so much that it did'nt come back.

Skunks can carry rabies for some time before symptoms show. Don't get too comfortable with wild animals. They are enjoyable, but still wild.

well we dont intentionally go and play with it, LOL! we do try to avoid it at all costs... but every year these two like to get up in our business. I'll be putting the chickens in the coop for the night and it just starts walking up behind me, what else can I do? ya know?

My other neighbors sprayed the skunk with a squirt gun once and he got sprayed bad. He won't do that again! because they just get on our porches and stuff. these skunks have been doing this for years. I can turn on my porch light and they'll be right at the door...

Back
Top Bottom