skunks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ricks Chicks, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a couple skunks coming by my house to rummage through the compost pile ,dig in my garden and I am guessing searching for grubs or worms in my lawn . Should I worry about them trying to get at my birds?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

As a general rule, skunks will eat grain drink the water, eat eggs...leaving the shells behind! lol. If a skunk gets in, eats a bird, then it was a sick/dead bird.
    It is something you do not want to encourage, but it is easy enough to "fence" them off, 2 foot high wire will deter them. I also use dehyrated, sterilized blood. It is a powder you spred around. It does not smell, stain red or anything like that. I broadcast it around with my hand, for some reason skunks do not like it and it will not attract other preditors, but will not keep them away either. Each time it rains heavy, you will need to put more out.
    Good luck, keep your girls locked in the evening and night to prevent anything from bothering them.
    If you get sprayed, Lever 2000 soap...it worked for me when I got sprayed...ugh...[​IMG]

3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
  4. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't get me started on skunks. I consider them vermin and I trap and kill them. They usually won't kill your chickens because chickens roost and the skunks don't climb.

5. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    i keep smelling them in my area. i haven't seen them yet, but my dogs scared one (luckily did not get sprayed), cause boy we could smell him. good to know what to do to keep them out.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Skunks killed plenty of my neighbor's healthy birds.

7. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

They will kill whatever they can get their teeth on. They'll kill more than one at a time and barely eat them. They are nothing like the skunk on Bambi.

8. tlb

tlb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    TX
    Oh, yeah, skunks do indeed kill chickens. Two skunks killed 3 of my rhode island reds a few weeks ago. I've since taken better steps to keep the skunks out and they haven't messed with my hens again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by