Sky high lumber prices = thinking outside the box.

We’ve read a lot about this. They are cooped at night which has hardware cloth on all holes so hopefully we won’t get too many day time predators. We will eventually add hardware wire when we upgrade but for now this is what we could afford.

Where, in general, are you located? Climate and predators vary so knowing will help us give better advice. :)

That chicken wire won't work well with predators. It's designed to keep birds in, not keep animals out
I know in america you have far bigger predators for which this wire is insufficient but does anyone know about foxes? They are not very strong, it's the only pest I have and like the OP pointed out hardware cloth is twice as expensive as this cheap rabbit fencing.

I can squeeze a hand through a hole on the rabbit fencing but unles the fox started chewing through the wire I don't think they'd have the force to break it so does anyone know if a fox specifically would consider chewing through the wire?

I know in america you have far bigger predators for which this wire is insufficient but does anyone know about foxes? They are not very strong, it's the only pest I have and like the OP pointed out hardware cloth is twice as expensive as this cheap rabbit fencing.

I can squeeze a hand through a hole on the rabbit fencing but unles the fox started chewing through the wire I don't think they'd have the force to break it so does anyone know if a fox specifically would consider chewing through the wire?
I wouldn't risk it, personally. My only experiences with foxes are from afar and losing a pullet on our deck to one, but they're smart lil buggers

Fox I don't think will do much with fencing, they more find a hole or dig under. Raccoons and others make a hole.

Don't you have badgers in the UK? those buggers like chicken dinner as well, at least the ones here do. Plus they can tear through chicken wire like paper.

I just use chicken wire I've lost few birds over the yrs in the coop.
I'm pretty diligent, predators stay away from our property. I leave them alone when they leave my birds alone. Any in noncompliance get eliminated.

We’ve read a lot about this. They are cooped at night which has hardware cloth on all holes so hopefully we won’t get too many day time predators. We will eventually add hardware wire when we upgrade but for now this is what we could afford.
Sounds like you put some thought into your chicken tractor. I commend you for being frugal. My fear for you is that a dog or dogs could have that chicken wire and hardware cloth torn apart in just a few minutes. I know because for my chicken tractor, I used heavier fencing and covered it in chicken wire. The chicken wire ended up with gaping holes after my dog tried to get my chickens. The dogs have since learned they can't get through the fencing. I feel like the chickens are well protected from cyotes, dogs, 'coons and other predators. Try to find a way to make it stronger.
You'll be glad you did.
(Didn't mean to post band picture, but couldn't figure out how to remove it)
0303201929a-jpg.2682071

Plywood is $75 a sheet around here right now. Glad I don't have to build anything.
We got lucky and found someone selling a sturdy wooden shed/kids playhouse for $100. There's no way we could have built something like it for $100! It has windows on 3 sides that open wide and shut tight. We put wire outside window frames for fresh air and to keep raccoons out. A friend was giving away some scrap wood which we took to make a front door, ramp and roosts.
It's work in progress, as we find more scrap wood, we'll put on an addition. It's been perfect for the girls to grow up in.
My son laughed when he first saw it, said it looks like a church. We've named the coop St Brigid's Chicken Church and hung a St Brigid's cross over the door. (St Brigid is the Patron Saint of chickens)

Back
Top Bottom