Sleep Remedies?

i also have this problem occasionally and usually a beer (or 2) about 30 minutes before bed does the trick.
big_smile.png

Well, lavender works well, if you have fresh stuff, just crush the blossoms with your fingertips and you will feel the oil from the plant between your fingers and release the crushed flowers into a soft sachet and put that under your pillow - and sweet dreams! The creamy version works well too, just put a drop on your pulse points before sleep, and pleasant dreams!

i might have to try the valerian root. i do recall people recommending that in the past and had forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder!

for me i concentrate on the word "sleep" and in my minds eye i picture a large, deep & dark velvet curtain.

my problem is my brain is too active, i have trouble shutting it off. so if i concentrate on that word & velvet curtain i get bored and eventually fall asleep.

or i stay up working until the wee hours and i finally pass out.

Some good ideas already posted here ...

If you are under stress and also have trouble with your mind continuing to run and keeping you awake, Skullcap (or sometimes spelled Scullcap) works well for a large percentage of people. Take 2 before sleeping, and if you wake up during the night, you can take another. It won't leave you drowsy, and is a good soothing tonic herb for the nerves also. Can be taken in the daytime as well. (Only thing is, if it DOES work for you, about 50% of people will lose effectiveness if they use it every night. If you alternate with something else or don't use it every night, you shouldn't have that problem.)

Passionflower, hops, and chamomile are all relaxing herbs. You may be able to find them in a combination, or perhaps in a combination sleep aid tea if you like herbal teas. If you buy the tea, follow the instructions for steeping (and consider honey to sweeten if you want a sweetener).

Valerian is helpful for some people. It is more like an actual sedative. It also helps people who have muscle pains to sleep. It is not habit-forming, but really shouldn't be used long-term either. (Don't buy plain valerian tea unless you have a strong stomach -- it STINKS!)

Melatonin is helpful for those people whose bodies don't produce sufficient melatonin naturally. Either it will work for you, or it won't ... if you already produce enough it won't make any difference. Often having a day/night disturbance (like changing working shifts, a very long-distance move, having the wrong amount of daylight, etc.) will be a factor for those people, but not always. This is another one you shouldn't really take long-term, as it can interfere with your body's ability to make melatonin and you will, in effect, need it after that.

Lavender is a great soothing and relaxing scent. You can add the essential oil to a warm bath and really relax. I often put a few drops of it on the "body pillow" that I wrap my arms and legs around when I sleep. It can stain fabrics, but I use just one pillowcase for that one and I don't mind. Be sure to buy it from a reliable source. There is more "lavender" being sold on the market than is actually harvested. Fake stuff won't work.

Ummmm .... those are the main points I can remember right now, and what help about 99% of people. You can sometimes even find a product that includes quite a few of them, kind of a "shotgun" approach, if ever you are desperate and just NEED sleep. However, if you take that, you won't know which one helped you and if you want to switch to a single or more simple formula, you'll have to start over to find what helps.

Oh, yeah, and I should say "I'm not a doctor, and none of this information is intended to treat, diagnose, etc. any medical conditon" etc. .... I didn't exactly word everything the way I would with customers, but that is the basic info, if it helps anyone.

Sweet dreams!

trish

Quote:
im sorry but im not trying to be rude or nosy but i think America takes too much meds. and i was wondering if you had the idea that you had RLS from that commercial?
and as for you sleeping i know! i cant sleep at night but i don't take meds b/c i don't believe they help i believe they enable. i think antibiotics help heal but some don't even boost your immune system. that is my own opinion.
i also don't think people are addicted sleep aids or nose sprays because i think that the meds just ENABLED! them its just like raising kids. you cant do everything for them you have to let them scrape there knee every once in a while. (as far as im told. lol) and im glad that (cant think of the thread starter sorry!) wants a home remedy that is what we need more of in America not big corps sucking up all the money. and along with the government. sorry im on my high horse but im tired of it.
not all of this was directed to the quote. i just saw the RLS and i was jw and i got to typing lol.

sorry for the long post.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom