Sleeping 2 by 2 by 2

Heirloom Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
We have a week old mixed flock in the brooder and I've noticed when they settle down to sleep they seem to pair off in twos by breed. We picked them up at the hatchery when they were 1 day old and we've noticed this since the first evening. Is this common that they recognize their own breed? We have two each of a handful of breeds with the exception of the Barred Rocks because they threw an extra one in for free. They will mix and mingle, eat and play as a group but almost always pair back up when it's time to settle down for sleep.

Our local chicken friends think we're crazy but we see it with our own four eyes lol.

Yes, its quite common chickens recognize what they look like and hang out with others like them. My grown hens even do it. My 3 leghorns do it and when I had a guinea it stayed with the cuckoo marans because they were almost the same pattern. My brown chickens stay with other brown chickens, my bantams stay with other bantams.

Taylor

I have 7 chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. Barnevelder, Welsummer and two Silver Laced Wyandottes that sleep together and my Buff Orpington, Light Brahma and my EE sleep together . Last night they started sleeping with who ever.. I know it's weird. Light ones together and dark ones together.. Why do they do that??? Still too sweet, laying on each other..

Thanks Gang...great to know we're not extremely crazy...only as crazy as chicken and farm people are naturally
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We have a week old mixed flock in the brooder and I've noticed when they settle down to sleep they seem to pair off in twos by breed. We picked them up at the hatchery when they were 1 day old and we've noticed this since the first evening. Is this common that they recognize their own breed? We have two each of a handful of breeds with the exception of the Barred Rocks because they threw an extra one in for free. They will mix and mingle, eat and play as a group but almost always pair back up when it's time to settle down for sleep.

Our local chicken friends think we're crazy but we see it with our own four eyes lol.
I think it is very common, I have a total of 10 and they usually sleep beside the same hen each night. Usually it is the ones that they get along with. My only roo sleeps by himself but other than that the others pair up.

My grown chickens do that a little bit. They are always all together during the day, but when they roost at night they roost in pairs according to when we got them. So, the older birds roost together and the younger birds roost together. Not by color though....

Back
Top Bottom