Sleeping and egg laying habits

WoollyAnvil

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Hi. We just bought 4 new ISA browns, there’s batch of chickens we ever owned. They are a bit older, 12 months, rested moderately intensively so used to being in a big barn, sleeping on the ground I guess. We have made them a nice little coup to sleep in with two perches and a separate little egg laying box, all of which have been used by previous chickens (admittedly bought when younger) straight away. The new ones are just sleeping on the ground and have laid some eggs in the coup, not in nesting boxes. Is there any way I can change their behaviour or have they lost their natural instinct to want to perch at night above ground and lay eggs somewhere other than where they sleep? Any ideas how I might coax them into this behaviour? They seem happy enough but I’d rather they slept in the coup to keep them out of sight of foxes and just...well, so they’re warmer and more cosy!

If they've never roosted before they won't know what to do. You can pick them up at night and place them on the roosts to show them how that works. As for the nest boxes, put in some fake eggs to show them that that's a good place to lay.

Since they're not yet accustomed to you, you may need to let them get a little more comfortable with you first, before trying to train them to new habits, if it's upsetting for them.

Back
Top Bottom