sleeping duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lavandula girl, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Do ducks sleep on the water as adults? I got a 2-3 day old runner yesterday, who insists on sleeping in the water. When I continually, over the course of the day, found her snoozing in the water dish, I added a large rock to the center of it, so they could drink properly, but not get in. I found the stubborn little thing with one foot in the dish when I checked on them last night and early this morning. So... instinct or attitude?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it's some of each.

If she is the only duck, you may want to give her a cuddly and a mirror, if you haven't already done so. Runners have a strong flock instinct, and really crave company.

(Mine call out to me periodically when I am not within sight, since I am part of their flock.)

3. lavandula girl

Oh, she's got a "sister" in there with her (Ping and Pong), but the Ping doesn't have the same fascination with swimming. And yep, they whistle and tweet to me quite a bit. Pong's a hard headed little thing, though! I can't seem to explain that she could drown while she's snoozing! [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found I need to pay close attention to the ducks' environment, because they sure don't! Making sure they don't drown or choke are two priorities when they are small - good for you! Nice to know they have each other.

I used a chick waterer the first three months (larger and larger waterers as they grew). Now that they are outside (at four plus months old) they use large steel mixing bowls.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    network glitch - sorry

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto above

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    A lot of people use a small plastic tub for a water dish - like one you would buy margarine or butter in. Cut the top so they can only put their head in to get a drink. I am assuming they are inside because they are so young. Do you have a light so they can keep warm???

8. lavandula girl

Oh yeah, we have the whole set up... we've had babies before. I don't use a chick waterer, because I had a friend who had a bad experience with a duckling damaging it's beak with one. However, I had never had one that insisted on sleeping IN the water. Of course, being ducklings, in a week they won't be able to fit their butts in the bowl, let alone drown in it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by