Sleeping in a tree

2 of our younger guineas decided it would be a great idea to roost in a tree during a snowstorm, they were up sooooo high, almost at the very top of the tree. And then they stayed in that tree until the next afternoon, when they decided that they wanted something to eat. Otherwise they probably would've stayed there all day.

Coops can be death traps if they aren't secure.If you've upgraded the coop and made it safe you'll have to retrain them to roost inside.They will be killed sleeping in trees outdoors.
no doubt they would, i found my 4 little ones in a tree tonight and anything hungry would have had no trouble, ive never had such an easy time scooping them up outside of the coop and run. they were like sitting ducks........ lawl but roosting chickens lol.

lol the trees they are in are the set of bushes and shrubs and trees behind the coop the first set also walked around in during the day until they got brave and started going further. Such a funny thing watching them learn to free range. I was so afraid i'd lose the first set when i first took the out. but for 2 days they wouldn't even leave the coop and run lol.

it was just a weird night for this i was 40 minutes behind on putting them and the older ones away lol. they just said frak it treeeeessss. lol.
At one point I had to remove the awning over the door (my pullets kept roosting on it!)They refused to go in he coop until after dark so I added a light(then changed it to a motion light) It was only after I added a rooster that my girls started going to roost before dark. They still waited a couple months before they roosted with him. Its a good thing he's patient because I'm not.lol.

Back
Top Bottom