Sleeping in Nest During Molting

D from Quincy

Chirping
Jan 4, 2021
Thanks to this sight you all have enlightened me that my chickens are molting. Thank You, so now that I know I've been cutting them slack. They have been cuddling up and sleeping in their nesting box. I have been cleaning out the poop on a daily basis. Will they snap out of this habit after they stop molting or do I need to force them back to the roost. Thanks again. This site is the best for having people that are knowledgeable and quick to advise.

The chicks are about two years old. Last year I had a light on a timer and they didn't go through this. I have two chicks. That pic is from the second chick. It seems like she's just going into it. The first chick that went into it lost almost all her feathers and a lot of weight. I thought I had mites so I went on a daily cleaning frenzy. Which also included me going into the coop at night and disturbing them off the roost. As well as purging the whole coop with a simplified redesign for easier daily cleaning. That's when they started the nest sleeping. I didn't know if they thought they were hiding from me or if they were staying warmer in the nesting box. Their roost heats up when the temp hits 32deg f and they have one of those heaters that looks like a heater right beside the roost. Every night before this they had the same routine. I would let them out before sun set. They would graze around. Top hen would go in first and take the spot beside the heater/wall. The second one would then follow right after. They would bitch at each other a little. I would tell them to stop. Then they would settle in and stay on the roost till the morning when I come out to feed them. I feel as though I've messed them all up. Then I sent out a google question and got hooked up to this site. Sorry for the long story but that's what's going on as crazy as I sound

Thanks to this sight you all have enlightened me that my chickens are molting. Thank You, so now that I know I've been cutting them slack. They have been cuddling up and sleeping in their nesting box. I have been cleaning out the poop on a daily basis. Will they snap out of this habit after they stop molting or do I need to force them back to the roost. Thanks again. This site is the best for having people that are knowledgeable and quick to advise.
Update, my girls are doing good now. They went back to the roost on their own and one of them started laying again this week. I'm so relieved. Thanks all for the help.

Back
Top Bottom