Sleeping in nesting box, puffy feathers, making weird noises

Ali123123123

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hi There,

I have a chicken who is just over 1 year old. She lives with 5 other hens and has access to a large garden all day. She has been sleeping in the nesting box at night and throughout the day unless we bring her out. Her feathers are very puffed up all the time even when she is out foraging. She is also making a weird sound. I can try to capture the sound in a video if that helps.

Any ideas about what might be going on with her?

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• 0A196933-09B6-4D13-B61D-8907CAFD9E1B.jpeg
    0A196933-09B6-4D13-B61D-8907CAFD9E1B.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 87
If you want her to hatch eggs than give her some fertile eggs and let her sit on them. if you want to break her and you don't want any chicks try taking her off the nest and give her a nice cool bath to bring her broody body temp down. You can also try taking eggs away and giving her frozen golf balls if you have any. Good luck!

Hi There,

I have a chicken who is just over 1 year old. She lives with 5 other hens and has access to a large garden all day. She has been sleeping in the nesting box at night and throughout the day unless we bring her out. Her feathers are very puffed up all the time even when she is out foraging. She is also making a weird sound. I can try to capture the sound in a video if that helps.

Any ideas about what might be going on with her?

Thanks so much!!
She’s broody, and wants to hatch chicks! If you want that, you’ll have to give her some fertilized eggs. If you have a rooster, you can give her some of those, but I’d you don’t, then you can get some somewhere else.
If you don’t want a broody, keep her away from the nesting boxes and feed and water her like normal.

Back
Top Bottom