Sleeping in the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beatriceanrufus, Aug 6, 2013.

1. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    my chickens are around 5-6 weeks old. They recently have just been starting to be in the coop outside all day, then when it gets dark, the seem to get scared and get really loud. I feel bad and bring them inside to sleep all night. i keep the light on until they are asleep then turn the light off, they sleep all night. but they dont seem to like it when the sun goes down outside, what should i do?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]They'll get over it, I promise. At 5-6 weeks mine were in a brooder in my garage and I gave them no extra light. At first they'd get upset when I'd turn the light off after I checked on them for the last time before bed but they would stop chirping quickly. Can't give them light forever though so might as well get them use to it.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I would leave them in the coop, despite their protests. If they are safe there, learning that the coop is home is a valuable lesson. They probably sleep in a pile, too. That will go away when they discover the roosting bars.

Chris

4. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were very chatty too at that point. Just an adjustment period where they have to learn to settle in to sleep with no light. I kept imaging they were peeping "What the heck! What the heck!" as the sun went down. [​IMG] They get over it quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by