sleeping invthe nest boxes.

I had this same problem. My boxes were lower than the roost so that wasn't it. I think they did it at first to stay warmer when we got some freezing temps this spring. I found all 4 of them in one box one night. I think it just became where they sleep. I knew I had to nip that in the bud right away so I nailed a board up in front of the next boxes so they can't get in there. The first night they looked at it all confused and then hopped right up on the roost and settled in. The same day I also added a second roost and they liked that one a lot better for some reason. The first ran right across the middle of the coop and the second crossed the first near the back wall. I think they like the feeling of being closer to the wall. Maybe they don't like where your roost is?

I lowered the roost and made the highest one a little wider. The are now roosting! Yay :)

I'm having the same problem with one of my Silkies sleeping in the nesting box. I finally get my two teenage pullets to sleep on the roost not the floor of the coop, now I have to deal with the Silkie. She and her sister Silkie have never slept on the roosts so I can't just distract her by putting her on there at night. And I can't block the nesting boxes indefinitely because I have 3 big girls who lay in the box during the day. I have been trying to block them at night and run out early and remove the board, but it's not working out. I either forget or not get there quick enough. Anything short of something automated on a timer to open and close, I think I'm out of options! Any suggestions?

We bought an exterior double nest box and added it to the coop. Since then, they've started laying in it but not sleeping there. They either roost or sleep where they used to lay their eggs.

Now my problem is my young Marans who's just starting laying is afraid to go in the coop when a big girl is around and lays off of her roost in the run. I'm busy trying to break her of that habit. I don't want to remove the roost, but I guess if she keeps doing it I'm going to have to.

We have New to us hens that seven of the 12 were sleeping I'm the nesting boxes at night. Last night I read this thread so before dusk we blocked the boxes. The girls milled around confused and some laid down just where the board blocked the boxes. So in we went to pick them up and set in the roost. I was AMAZED that they all didn't fly and squawk all over. .. but they didn't! All 12 are on the roost now! Thanks for the advise. We will do this until they all just go to roost on their own. Woohoo!

The first two nights of blocking the nesting boxes up we had to put several hens up on their roost. This is the third night and ALL twelve got up on the roost themselves! Woohoo

I am having the same problems; I have 7 hens and each next box has a perch in front of it. All 7 hens want to fly up to the perch in front of the highest boxes and sleep. So I am guessing from all the posts that the boxes need to be lower than the roost and enclosed.

Back
Top Bottom