Sleeping More On A Cooler Day?

CitySilkies88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
NE Ohio
It has been a weird March for Ohio. The last two weeks it has been in the 70s-high 80s for the last two weeks. And just these last couple days it has cooled back down. Yesterday it was in the high 60s and today I think it's in the high 40s. In my house it is about 75 degrees and the heat lamp is lowered in the brooder. But I noticed today that my chicks are sleeping a bit more than usual.

Usually they are walking around/eating/playing with tiny naps in between. But today they are all eating/drinking then all going to sleeping in one corner. Much like they do at night.

I have had them for 5 days now and so their first four it was pretty warm in the house (about 85 degrees). So are they just reacting to the climate drop?

Like I said I lowered their lamp just to be safe. And I gave them some electrolyte water.

They seem fine other than that. They are still bright eyed and there is no discharge or anything else worrying.

Sorry if this seems like a silly post. I am new to raisng chicks and just want to make sure they are alright.

I would think that if there were a reason it would be boredom. I noticed a general lack of activity in the brooder after a few days of being in it myself. If there is an affinity to the weather...I have no clue

That makes since. Right after I posted this I went to check on them and they were walking around like normal. Most of them did lay back down and go to sleep but not in one big bunch. I am just a paranoid new mom lol.

When I think about it. Days like this (rainy crappy ones) my hens spend most of the day sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom