sleeping on roof - born in March

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - I am a new chicken mommy - we moved into this home that came complete with 4 adorable hens that I am in love with. They have a nice coop that is covered on top with mesh wiring to prevent predators and the sides and has a run around it also protected on top and sides. It is starting to get cold up here in NJ and I noticed that the girls are sleeping on the roof, not inside the coop. I worry that they will freeze over the winter. They were just hatched in March so they don't know how to do this anymore than I do LOL. Should I just put something on top of the roof so they don't sleep up there or just let them be since they are safe from predators?

If you can reach them put them in every night and close the door.
Thanks so much. I have never handled them. they are just getting to the point where I can pet them on the back for like 5 seconds. How does one go about "putting them in" Do I just take advantage of it being dark and and just grab them and put them in? So new at this

Thanks so much. I have never handled them. they are just getting to the point where I can pet them on the back for like 5 seconds. How does one go about "putting them in" Do I just take advantage of it being dark and and just grab them and put them in? So new at this

It is actually pretty amazing that once asleep they are catatonic. Use as little light as possible, move smoothly, one hand over each wing and pick them up. Hold those wings closed on their body.....seriously....once you let pressure off they can flog the tar out of you. A wing to the face actually hurts a lot.

So FIRM EVEN PRESSURE to keep the wings secure. They may squawk when you lift them. Don't let go. Just do it calmly and with purpose.
It really helps to master the technique so you can do foot checks, mite checks, crop checks and even trim toenails later on.

If it doesn't go smoothly don't give up. It may take several days to get them all in without chaos.
Eventually they will go in on their own or....more likely....see you coming and go in to avoid the pluck and place.:lau

It is actually pretty amazing that once asleep they are catatonic. Use as little light as possible, move smoothly, one hand over each wing and pick them up. Hold those wings closed on their body.....seriously....once you let pressure off they can flog the tar out of you. A wing to the face actually hurts a lot.

So FIRM EVEN PRESSURE to keep the wings secure. They may squawk when you lift them. Don't let go. Just do it calmly and with purpose.
It really helps to master the technique so you can do foot checks, mite checks, crop checks and even trim toenails later on.

If it doesn't go smoothly don't give up. It may take several days to get them all in without chaos.
Eventually they will go in on their own or....more likely....see you coming and go in to avoid the pluck and place.:lau
OMG this is the best advice! Thank you so much! I have a parrot and a cockatiel and dogs so I have had to just "go for it" with them - I think I will follow your advice and just "go in". Do I have to wait til it is really dark or can I do it when it is just after they've gone up there after the sun goes down?
Thanks for answering all my stupid questions but I really appreciate it!

OMG this is the best advice! Thank you so much! I have a parrot and a cockatiel and dogs so I have had to just "go for it" with them - I think I will follow your advice and just "go in". Do I have to wait til it is really dark or can I do it when it is just after they've gone up there after the sun goes down?
Thanks for answering all my stupid questions but I really appreciate it!

I would wait for about 30 minutes after they settle down on top of the coop.
Yup, just go for it.

There are no stupid questions. There can be stupid answers though. 😳

I too want to see the coop. Sometimes there is a visible (to experienced eyes) thing making them choose not to go in.

One other thing to do.....once they are in the coop sleeping soundly....run a white paper towel along the underside of the roost. Yup there is a good reason to do it. If it comes back with grey or red streaks there are mites in the coop. Not all bird pests live on the birds. Mites will take up residence in the cracks and crevices only coming out in the night to feed on the sleeping birds.

I would wait for about 30 minutes after they settle down on top of the coop.
Yup, just go for it.

There are no stupid questions. There can be stupid answers though. 😳

I too want to see the coop. Sometimes there is a visible (to experienced eyes) thing making them choose not to go in.

One other thing to do.....once they are in the coop sleeping soundly....run a white paper towel along the underside of the roost. Yup there is a good reason to do it. If it comes back with grey or red streaks there are mites in the coop. Not all bird pests live on the birds. Mites will take up residence in the cracks and crevices only coming out in the night to feed on the sleeping birds.
Thank you SO MUCH. Going to take courage but I will try. Do I have to wait til they are in there to check the roof of the roost or can I just go check it now? Here are the pix. They poop all over the roof!

Attachments

• AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    AqJPbToASK2vf2f85+f+uQ.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 8
  • L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    L%YSgLpfQ12tdhwpLlW+UA.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 7
  • ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    ssXvtB4GSvyUi%NcUdPB9w.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 8
  • YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg
    YFezvilQSgOEl04aSiEYsw.jpg