Sleepy birds ?

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
I'm just wondering.. is it normal for an adult hen to fall asleep in my lap? Whist I was holding one of my sweeter hens (she came to me on her own) she started drifting off. Now, I'm no stranger to my birds perching on me but it always worries me when they end up falling asleep on the way, she also happens to be one of my hens I've struggled with in the past, she's never been good with keeping weight on and gets bullied easily so I keep a close eye on her.

Does she randomly sleep or rest on the ground often, any signs of losing interest in food?

Not from what I've observed, she still has quite the appetite and keeps up with everyone else fine, and I don't see her rest anywhere except my back porch with the others when it's raining.

Then it should be fine, just make sure she does not act legthargic

I went out and watched her for a bit longer, noticed she does seem to be resting more then she should. All the other birds were scratching around while she stood and slept. I went ahead and feed some eggs to everyone and made sure she got some as well.. not sure if she's sick, though, I don't know what else could explain this

I went out and watched her for a bit longer, noticed she does seem to be resting more then she should. All the other birds were scratching around while she stood and slept. I went ahead and feed some eggs to everyone and made sure she got some as well.. not sure if she's sick, though, I don't know what else could explain this
That is quite odd. I remember this same thing happening to me, once when my chicken hurt her leg and another time another chicken got pecked on her neck and started bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom