Sleepy chicks

Alaurat

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Is it Normal for newly arrived chicks to be super sleepy and just sleep under the brooder. They came from a good reliable source - 3 weeks old. They just seem to be sleeping since they arrived! Not bothering to explore the brooder or feed.

Is it Normal for newly arrived chicks to be super sleepy and just sleep under the brooder. They came from a good reliable source - 3 weeks old. They just seem to be sleeping since they arrived! Not bothering to explore the brooder or feed.
Whats the problem though? Also have they been shipped? If so, all that movement could of scared the heck out them and exhausted them.

They were couriered and it would have taken a few hours.

They are very quiet and sitting under the brooder. Not interested in food or water

They were couriered and it would have taken a few hours.

They are very quiet and sitting under the brooder. Not interested in food or water
Just give them a bit of time, chicks do not need to eat after hatching for two whole days. Get a cotton swab when you think you're ready and wet it, then place it on the tip of the chicks' beaks (not in the nose), sometimes chicks need to be reminded that they need water. Make sure that they are awake before you do this. 🙂

I don't know. At three weeks they should be eating and drinking, running and flapping their little wings too. They should be pretty well feathered as well. I'd let them rest for awhile, but if they don't get up and act like normal chicks soon, I'd be worried.

I don't know. At three weeks they should be eating and drinking, running and flapping their little wings too. They should be pretty well feathered as well. I'd let them rest for awhile, but if they don't get up and act like normal chicks soon, I'd be worried.
I agree, my 3 week chick barely spends time under the plate during the day. Runs around the brooder constantly, hops on perches, can even fly up to the edge of the kennel if I leave the wire top off. I'd give them a day to rest, but they should certainly be very active at this age. Do you have any electrolytes? Or maybe add just a bit of sugar to their water... might help.

Back
Top Bottom