Sleepy poult..?

LotusFarmer

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Hi all! Ive been searching through the forums trying to find info on possible issues with one my my BR poults. She( I think its a she.lol) is 3 weeks old and has been sleepy for 3 days. She is with three others who are lively and normal. The poult in question walks around the perimeter of the brooder nonstop peeping in between naps, she does get up and eat and drink, though not vigorously anymore and promptly goes back to either sleeping or doing her nascar rounds, always counterclockwise and peeping. there is no swelling, no discharge,no labored breathing, eyes and nose are clear ,poop normal color and consistency......... Ive hatched turkeys for 3 yrs, before them I had only chickens and guineas. ive never seen a chick or poult act like this! been scouring the interwebs reading up on airsacculitous, RI,.Ecoli..etc etc etc...nothing seems to fit this girl....anyone ever see any of this?????? I did have a poult, who managed to jump and hit the brooder lid so hard that it seemed to break her neck last year, she did it while I was standing right there and I wouldn't have believed it could happen unless I saw it, she hit the lid, fell down , flapped for maybe a minute and then died...maybe this current poult suffered similar trauma, though slightly less severe?.....I feel like a turkey detective...thanks for reading, srry im longwinded!
idunno.gif

How is she holding her wings folded up or drooped.

I lost a few poults doing similar to what you described. All slept a lot and when they walked wings were drooped. A person I was talking to said possibly cocci. Dont know if they were right or wrong.

All mine passed away. 1 within 24 hours of showing symptoms. Most about 3 days
I bought some tylan 50 soluable treated flock have not lost one since.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give better answer.

she is drooping her wings and is MUCH less active today, I don't think she's going to last much longer..I used to treat our goats with corrid for coccidiosis ..the stools were the giveaway there though,........does anyone know if the same is used in turkeys?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, unfortunately she didnt make it through the night. The other three BRs and the choc. In the brooder arent showing any signs of illness, im not sure i want to start treatment if they dont seem affected...

Well, its been a few days and the other in the brooder are all still fine. No signs of anything other than the usual poult posturing! I believe it almsot had to be coccidiosis that hit the one, her last stool was bubbly and green. All that time she acted odd and no weird poop intil thw very end. Strange. I am keeping my sulmet and corrid on hand- i do prefer the corrid due it its less severe nature on their systems...i guess ill keep waiting and watching... i was hoping to pick up a few more BRs, dont want to rish bringing in anyone new now. Ah well.

Back
Top Bottom