Slight cross beak

mararva

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 20, 2020
One of my BCM has cross beak which I didn't notice until she was about 2 months old. She is 5 months old now and I'm not sure if I need to trim her beak. I've not dealt with this issue before and I'm wondering if a nail file would suffice, since it's not too extremely crossed? Also, she hasn't started laying yet...

Attachments

• 20230831_165922.jpg
    20230831_165922.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 40
Yes you can use a nail file to file her beak down. She will do just fine. Just don’t breed her bc the scissor beak is genetic and she’ll pass it on to her chicks.
Thanks! I hope she will produce nice dark eggs, and my flock is all hens.
I had a tough rooster experience in the past.

So, filing down a beak is not as easy as it sounds... I wrapped her in a towel and gently held her head. I feel like I didn't make much of a difference after 5 minutes of work. Any tips for how to make it more effective? (I don't feel comfortable using clippers)

So, filing down a beak is not as easy as it sounds... I wrapped her in a towel and gently held her head. I feel like I didn't make much of a difference after 5 minutes of work. Any tips for how to make it more effective? (I don't feel comfortable using clippers)
If you have a dremel file that might be possible to file and share the beak. The aim is to go slow and make multiple goes at it.

I have not had this issue with crossbeam, but my nieces old hens had their beaks cut back as chicks ( cruel practice I feel ), and the sides of their beaks have become over grown. I used a nail clipper to trim away the excess. Side growth and files it a bit.

I have dealt with horses with hoof issues and the principle is similar, slowly reshape by filing and careful trimming.

Back
Top Bottom