slight frostbite in comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robomb, Jan 30, 2012.

1. robomb

robomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Northern Vermont
    two of my hens appear to have some yellow in their combs - i searched through the forum and it seems like a small bit of frostbite. if it is just yellow on some of the comb, does it make sense to dub it? i don't want them to get an infection, but i'm worried about making a mess trying to dub them! since it's only the end of january, and we still have at least a month left of winter, with cold temps, i suppose they could still be at risk.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No, don't dub them. Just leave them be. They aren't even going to lose any of their combs with a case of frostbite so mild. The risk of infection is minimal.

Good luck.

3. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    Here in N. Mississippi when it gets below freezing, I rub vaseline in combs and waddles. Also good time to do legs and feet. Seems to help with frostbit. But I have one Roo with very large comb and no matter what I do, frostbit gets him but it will be OK. Now I've heard it will make them sterile (roos).. Don't know...don't care...just so he isn't in pain. Have other roosters with shorter combs.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Fallacy. Frostbite does not make a roo sterile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by