Slight webbing on feet

TheFatBlueCat

Crowing
Oct 16, 2021
New Zealand
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have just noticed that some of my juvenile birds have very slight webbing between their front 3 toes. It does not cause them any issues and is so minor I've only just noticed and gone to look at all of them (they're 9 weeks old). My question is, is this genetic, incubation related, or nutritional? If there is no clear answer, what are people's thoughts.

It is 1 of my barred rocks (out of 4) and 2 of my partridge rocks (out of 6). Both lines are from the same breeder and the eggs were incubated together under a broody. My thoughts were that perhaps it is nutrional or incubation related as it seems kinda unusual both lines would have the same genetic issue. I've had birds from this breeder before without any issues although not in large numbers.

The chicks I hatched from my own eggs from my own parent birds did not have this going on.

The barred rock with the webbing is one of the ones I had pegged as a keeper for myself. I don't really want to breed from her if it's a genetic condition, although it really is very minor. I don't breed to show or sell to show so it's not a big deal but I still like to have my birds be of good quality.

Sorry no photos they're fast little monsters. It is very even webbing and much less than I've seen in other photos. It causes no issue with toe mobility or their ability to balance or get around.

All of my birds have slight webbing.
What are you talking about?
Pics.....

I'll try to get some pics, it's a bit more than the 'normal' webbing all the rest of my chickens have, which is just at the very base of their toes and doesn't extend into visual range almost at all, perhaps it is just a variation of normal and I'm overreacting :)

Like this?
82F54450-D7BA-4C50-9A64-389B227B75A5.jpeg

According to my favorite *technichal* hatching resource on page 56 of the following link.. known as syndactyly.. *CAN* be cause by folic acid deficiency in the hatching egg..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Good eye.

Even if I consider something perhaps a nutritional or incubation type fault.. it's still a fault NOT to breed forward. Even nutritional deficicncy can be a genetic issue.. when all birds get the same quality feed and only some are throwing the deficienct eggs.

Hope the link is useful. :fl

I had another chick hatch the other day with extra webbing similar to the picture I posted (a bird from a couple years ago). If I get a few of them I’ll mate them together and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom