Slightly panicked: Starting to build our Coop...just got 13 Chicks!!!

Great question. Thanks for asking.
Quite the conundrum though, do we spend our time building or writing about the build and posting pictures? :confused: Or a little of both?
Hubby being 'The Engineer' (note: semi retired, part time Environmental Engineer, not mechanical, although VERY adept at mechanical and a 'fixer/builder' at heart) and me being the semi-retired but still working part time Technical Writer, there has to be a happy medium. Somewhere. Or a happy large.
After I move some pics from my phone (pics? who me?) to my laptop so I can actually see what I'm doing I will commence a new build thread -- I'm guessing on the coop build thread. surely one exists. For now the girls and I are enjoying some morning grass & patio time outside before the thunderstorms move in later this afternoon. In the meantime, I'm transferring files from phone to laptop. Have a good day! :thumbsup:jumpy

Quality time with the girls. Who knew being a "chick magnet" could be so much fun?!?

Attachments

• 20200720_220216.jpg
    20200720_220216.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • resized 2.jpg
    resized 2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 10
  • resized 3.jpg
    resized 3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
  • resized 4.jpg
    resized 4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
  • resized 5.jpg
    resized 5.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • resized1.jpg
    resized1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 8
  • resized 6.jpg
    resized 6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
  • resized 7.jpg
    resized 7.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 9
  • resized 8.jpg
    resized 8.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
  • resized 9.jpg
    resized 9.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • resized 10.jpg
    resized 10.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11
1) great sense of humor
2) wonderful pics
3) both y'all don't need to have it perfect 'outta the gate' as a 1st post on the "build thread" could easily just be your introduction with a teaser picture and then as your tech-side of the brain gets to tinker with the follow up posts.... The "happy medium or large" will easily roll out smoothly!

In the mean time semi-retired or semi-hobbying the chicks don't worry about this forum.

1) great sense of humor
2) wonderful pics
3) both y'all don't need to have it perfect 'outta the gate' as a 1st post on the "build thread" could easily just be your introduction with a teaser picture and then as your tech-side of the brain gets to tinker with the follow up posts.... The "happy medium or large" will easily roll out smoothly!

In the mean time semi-retired or semi-hobbying the chicks don't worry about this forum.

good advice, thanks! :wee :thumbsup :D

Yes! Your point about building a temporary brooder custom size is exactly right, that's what we did. Since we are in the process of building the coop we have extra 2 x 4's and OSB panels, and hardware cloth laying around.
So yesterday Matt went into the shop and built a 3 x 5 ft frame 3+ ft tall, for a brooder, which we're going to cover with hardware cloth and put in the garage. He's putting a door on one end so we can get in (crawl) to change feed water and shavings. I have misgivings about putting it in the garage, but it's an almost 3 car garage with only one car using it, plus lawnmower and Mule. It's got two windows with screens. we're putting a security camera in there because we do have raccoons, foxes, hawks, and other chicken eating varmints around here. Anyway, yes, they need more space already. So we figured 15 square feet should last them a little while until the coop is done and they are ready to graduate. We've got one that already flies to the top of the water container and feed container. She's hilarious. We call her Amelia (first flight).
Anybody know the "rule of thumb" on when they should be transferred from a brooder into a full blown coop? We could also put the familiar brooder inside the coop for a week when the time comes? What age is good for putting in coop? *crossing fingers we'll have it done by then*
I put my whole brooder (a dog crate) in the coop when my chicks were 5 days old. I left everything the same in the brooder - their food and water and heating plate were where they were accustomed to their being. I fastened the crate door open so they could explore the coop (I didn’t have any adult chickens). I’ve read on BYC that chickens don’t like change, so as they grew I would change only one thing at a time and they never seemed dazed by any of it.

thanks for that breed info! It is pretty confusing, with all the breeds and cross breeds, and mutts. Interesting about the Production Red, I had no idea, but sounds like it makes sense. Don’t know if you saw the later post but we did build a bigger brooder that we’re hoping will last them about 3 more weeks. We put a rollback hardware cloth top on it, secured with 2 x 4s. We’ll keep it closed to eliminate flight risks. You’re right, at 3 weeks they’re already starting to fly all over, especially when outside in the playpen on the grass.
When they are older I’ll post more pictures so you all can tell me your breed thoughts on our “mutts” We love them already. I never dreamed I could become so attached to 13 chickens, and in such a short time. :love :D😍🥰
I hope you are feeding a medicated chick starter because outside on the grass, they are exposed to a lot of diseases.

I hope you are feeding a medicated chick starter because outside on the grass, they are exposed to a lot of diseases.

Yes, we sure are! Medicated chick feed. So far all are healthy and very lively. The area they're in, supervised, in the grass is near the back patio, so there are not too many caterpillars and potentially dangerous bugs. I think.
That said, are there any first aid basics we should have on hand? Eventually we'll have a sick bird and it would be good to know if there's something we can give them for common illnesses?

Back
Top Bottom