Sloth’s Silkies

Well…. I’m just having a horrible time this year trying to get chicks. The only good hatch that I had was from Brenda Smith (she packs her eggs better than anyone I’ve ever seen - would recommend her all day every day!) Every other batch has been in abysmal shape after the usps finished with them. I’m starting to really dislike having eggs being shipped in egg cartons. I think it jostles them so much more.

Anyways, of the last 62 eggs that I set in my incubator, I only have 3 chicks (4 others made it to hatch day but didn’t survive hatch due to shrink wrapping) and 7 eggs developing in my incubator. I wouldn’t be surprised if several of the 7 are quitters so maybe I will end up with a few more chicks.

But I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on eggs, with only a small handful of chicks to show for it!! It’s so sad! Okay, pity party over. But I just don’t know if I have the will to order any more, or if I need to just call it quits for the year. The sad thing for me is that I wanted so badly to get a lavender or blue cream silkie chick and I ended up with none of them. And there is no way to get them locally, so I’m just out of luck unless I try again with Bobbi to get some blue creams (the only real option I’m considering now.)

Sorry if this sounds super complain-y, that’s not my intention. Just venting my frustrations (mostly mad at myself) for having such high hopes when I started trying to build a little flock this year. I wanted to be able to hand pick all my birds from lots of babies, and now I just don’t have that option and it’s getting so late into the spring that I don’t want to be ordering more eggs because it will be a long wait and by the time they hatch it will be into summer. I wanted to have the summer to grow out and select my flock. Sometimes life just doesn’t go as planned!

Well…. I’m just having a horrible time this year trying to get chicks. The only good hatch that I had was from Brenda Smith (she packs her eggs better than anyone I’ve ever seen - would recommend her all day every day!) Every other batch has been in abysmal shape after the usps finished with them. I’m starting to really dislike having eggs being shipped in egg cartons. I think it jostles them so much more.

Anyways, of the last 62 eggs that I set in my incubator, I only have 3 chicks (4 others made it to hatch day but didn’t survive hatch due to shrink wrapping) and 7 eggs developing in my incubator. I wouldn’t be surprised if several of the 7 are quitters so maybe I will end up with a few more chicks.

But I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on eggs, with only a small handful of chicks to show for it!! It’s so sad! Okay, pity party over. But I just don’t know if I have the will to order any more, or if I need to just call it quits for the year. The sad thing for me is that I wanted so badly to get a lavender or blue cream silkie chick and I ended up with none of them. And there is no way to get them locally, so I’m just out of luck unless I try again with Bobbi to get some blue creams (the only real option I’m considering now.)

Sorry if this sounds super complain-y, that’s not my intention. Just venting my frustrations (mostly mad at myself) for having such high hopes when I started trying to build a little flock this year. I wanted to be able to hand pick all my birds from lots of babies, and now I just don’t have that option and it’s getting so late into the spring that I don’t want to be ordering more eggs because it will be a long wait and by the time they hatch it will be into summer. I wanted to have the summer to grow out and select my flock. Sometimes life just doesn’t go as planned!
:hugs

I didn't know it could be worse than what @LTAY1946 @2ndTink and I have had with shipped eggs, but sad to say, you got us beat there and I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating and expensive this is.

What about the Indigo Egg lady that you put me onto? I was going to buy some eggs from her after I get back from a trip in late April.

What state are you in? I have a rule that I cannot keep any chicks past June 1. That gives enough time to grow them up to join the main coop for winter without any hassles.

:hugs

I didn't know it could be worse than what @LTAY1946 @2ndTink and I have had with shipped eggs, but sad to say, you got us beat there and I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating and expensive this is.

What about the Indigo Egg lady that you put me onto? I was going to buy some eggs from her after I get back from a trip in late April.

What state are you in? I have a rule that I cannot keep any chicks past June 1. That gives enough time to grow them up to join the main coop for winter without any hassles.
IndigoEgg is Bobbi Porto - she is one that I am still considering buying another batch of eggs from. Bobbi’s eggs went through a lot in shipping but I at least ended up with 5 of her eggs in lockdown (but sadly only 2 hatched due to my humidity issues - the 3 that did not hatch were all beautiful blue creams 😭) I’m clear out in UT so everything coming to me is coming from a long way away. I would recommend Bobbi still, she is so sweet, and her birds are absolutely gorgeous!! And I think her eggs were the best packaged besides Brenda’s! I’d still recommend her for sure 🥰

Probably the most disappointing was that I spent a fortune on Geri Godina’s lavender eggs and not a single one that was good. I did have one start to develop but the air sac was detached and it quit after about two weeks. The air sacs on almost all (if not all!) of her eggs were detached and two eggs were completely broken in the second batch. I’ve never dealt with that. IMO it is a packaging issue, combined with poor usps handling. I wish I hadn’t opted to get more eggs from her, I’m sick over the wasted money. She does seem like a very nice lady though.

So yeah, now I’m in a position where I get to decide whether or not I want to spend over $100 on filling my incubator again, or if I just cut my losses (nearly $500) and just keep the chicks I have even though they aren’t the colors I’d hoped for. I have 10 black chicks (9 from Brenda, 1 from Bobbi), 1 lemon cuckoo, and 1 white silkied EE. I have 5 more blue egg silkie/satins and 2 bantam lav ameraucanas in the incubator still.

IndigoEgg is Bobbi Porto - she is one that I am still considering buying another batch of eggs from. Bobbi’s eggs went through a lot in shipping but I at least ended up with 5 of her eggs in lockdown (but sadly only 2 hatched due to my humidity issues - the 3 that did not hatch were all beautiful blue creams 😭) I’m clear out in UT so everything coming to me is coming from a long way away. I would recommend Bobbi still, she is so sweet, and her birds are absolutely gorgeous!! And I think her eggs were the best packaged besides Brenda’s! I’d still recommend her for sure 🥰

Probably the most disappointing was that I spent a fortune on Geri Godina’s lavender eggs and not a single one that was good. I did have one start to develop but the air sac was detached and it quit after about two weeks. The air sacs on almost all (if not all!) of her eggs were detached and two eggs were completely broken in the second batch. I’ve never dealt with that. IMO it is a packaging issue, combined with poor usps handling. I wish I hadn’t opted to get more eggs from her, I’m sick over the wasted money. She does seem like a very nice lady though.

So yeah, now I’m in a position where I get to decide whether or not I want to spend over $100 on filling my incubator again, or if I just cut my losses (nearly $500) and just keep the chicks I have even though they aren’t the colors I’d hoped for. I have 10 black chicks (9 from Brenda, 1 from Bobbi), 1 lemon cuckoo, and 1 white silkied EE. I have 5 more blue egg silkie/satins and 2 bantam lav ameraucanas in the incubator still.
Weren't Bobbi's the ones she shipped Friday and you got Monday though? I mean, that's days less than our eggs have been traveling so one would think less days is less handling and less bouncing around.

Weren't Bobbi's the ones she shipped Friday and you got Monday though? I mean, that's days less than our eggs have been traveling so one would think less days is less handling and less bouncing around.
No, those eggs are still in my incubator! They were from Akers Farm - they were just kind of a for-fun purchase. They are blue egg silkies/satins. They came from Florida too though! There must be a direct flight from Jacksonville to SLC. Bobbi’s were slower, I think they were shipped on Monday and arrived on Thursday, so pretty typical. Hers went out of Tampa and then through Georgia if I remember correctly.

Thank you! And now the chicks have been acting a little weird so I’m not sure if they are going to be normal or not! A couple have weird leg spasms. They otherwise seem fine but I feel like it could go either way for them!

Thank you! And now the chicks have been acting a little weird so I’m not sure if they are going to be normal or not! A couple have weird leg spasms. They otherwise seem fine but I feel like it could go either way for them!
Have you given them any extra vitamins? Maybe that would help? I've never had any with leg spasms before.

Have you given them any extra vitamins? Maybe that would help? I've never had any with leg spasms before.
I’ve never seen it before and after searching this site, seems like no one has 😂 I have been giving them extra B complex. I am kind of wondering if their bums are itching or bothering them? They have had very small amounts of poop stuck near the vent, and I noticed a tiny bit of runny stools, not sure which chick they were from. I haven’t really ever dealt with pasty butt, but it seems like if that caused them to try and itch back there, then it would be commonly talked about. So I really have no clue! They seem healthy in every other way so far.

I’ve never seen it before and after searching this site, seems like no one has 😂 I have been giving them extra B complex. I am kind of wondering if their bums are itching or bothering them? They have had very small amounts of poop stuck near the vent, and I noticed a tiny bit of runny stools, not sure which chick they were from. I haven’t really ever dealt with pasty butt, but it seems like if that caused them to try and itch back there, then it would be commonly talked about. So I really have no clue! They seem healthy in every other way so far.
Mayne they need a little coconut oil to help them out?

Back
Top Bottom