Slow chick ?

WWolf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
San Diego
It's now day 23, two other eggs started at the same time hatched on the evening of the 20 th day. The shell is pipped, the membrane has a slight hole, the chick has a strong peep but only when disturbed, I am trying not to touch it. How "late" can they pop out and still be ok ?

I would try crack the shell around the hole(like a zip) and see if it will complete the hatch. Then if nothing happens I would help it. I know people will disagree, but I do it all the time. I have had a few losses, but after that long it can and will die in the shell if you don't help! JMHO

Good luck!
fl.gif

I waited too long on one like that and although she hatched out she was too weak and eventually died
hit.gif
She was the sweetest chick too. It turned out that she was stuck to part of the membrane in the egg and she couldn't turn to zip herself out. By the time I finally helped her she didn't have the strength to kick the egg away from her. I had to help her out completely. She did finally gain her legs but was a poor eater and not drinking as much as she should. I worked with her for 2 days straight, feeding her, making her drink, but to no avail. So my advice is help "her" out of the egg but don't get too attached at first. Waiting that long since pip may be too much for her.

Soo. I made the decision to "help". It turned out the membrane was stick to it's little head just above the right eye. It was not too difficult to loosen it up very gently with a dental tool and my glasses ON. He popped right out ! Looked a little weak but perked right up and is now hanging out in the brooder box with the other two that hatched on time. I was hesitant to interfere but it seemed he was just stuck and otherwise OK. Glad I did it !
594_img_0220.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom