Slow exposure to the coop soil

jackhorn01

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
I read when researching more on cocci and things to do to minimize the risk that putting a small scoop of soil from the coop into the brooder with the chicks was a good way to slowly help them build up resistance to it. Anyone else do this technique? Any input on it?

I do. I don't feed medicated starter either. The way I see it, a broody hen has no need for medicated feeds. Her chicks would ingest a little of her and the flocks dropping and they'd get immunities that way. I've been doing this for years, and have never had a problem.
The plus side is they get to dust bathe (which is hilarious) and they have a source of grit if you're considering feeding any treats that would require it. Good luck :)
Nikki

On the treat thing since you mentioned it, how old do the chicks have to be before I can give them a little bit of scratch? And also ducklings. And when you put the soil from the coop in the brooder, do you do like a shovel full or what?

I would wait a while on the scratch bc the pieces are usually on the big side. I usually feed things like boiled eggs, bananas, yogurt, mealworms, crickets- small treats. The bugs require grit, obviously, the soft foods don't but its there regardless. I fill up a small, shallow Tupperware bowl with dirt. They will spend alot of time scratching in the dirt so it tends to get poopy, I just dump it and refill when its dirty (har, har). If your brooder has a wire top, you may want to cover it with an old sheet bc they throw dirt everywhere and the dust they make travels further than you'd think!
Nikki

Last edited:
Do you get the dirt from the chicken run? A favorite dustbathing area? Or just somewhere in the yard? At what age do you give the dirt?

Another question going along with this thought. I am just starting my chicken experience on ground that has never had chickens before. Will just a scoop of yard dirt be okay? There should be some cocci in it naturally correct?

Thanks for any info.

I give them a small amount at 2 to 3 days, straight from the run. I use a shovel and scoop a fairly small amount so they can get the bugs into their system but not have enough that they can totally eat it and ignore their regular food.

I’ll do this maybe once a week. The stuff from the run will act as grit. Some grit such as granite might last as long as a month in their gizzard it’s so hard. Softer rock will wear out faster.

If you have not had chickens before, yard dirt is the best you can do. It may or may not have the Cocci in it. Run dirt with adults pooping on it may not have Cocci in it either. As far as I am concerned, it’s a reasonable precaution and the best thing you have to use.

Back
Top Bottom