Slow Feathering 8-week old

PRchick

Songster
Sep 11, 2020
Houston, TX
I have two 8 week old Denizli Longcrowers and one of them does not have all its feathers. No tail, only fuzz where the tail should be, neck feathers and wings, but the rest is all chick fuzz. It looks like it is ok, eats and drinks fine and is always the one that greets me at the pen door when I bring the food to them. It is also the same size as the other one. I don't have pictures, because I'm at work, but I can post them later.

Does anybody know what could be the problem? It's not being picked on either, in fact, it seems pretty dominant. The other one is beautifully feathered. I wouldn't think too much of it if the other one wasn't fully feathered.

It seems like this is a very rare breed so I couldn't find anything about it, and when I looked for slow feathering, it looks like most of those chicks are smaller. This one looks like the other one except for the feathers. Even their combs and waddles are the same, although this one's may be a little bigger.

Here are some pictures of both and the chick in question closer up.

Attachments

• 079C1DCD-42CD-4A01-A11A-BED7D7FA63C4.jpeg
    079C1DCD-42CD-4A01-A11A-BED7D7FA63C4.jpeg
    852.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1A47D850-070F-49E2-92D0-DEC9CB61CFD8.jpeg
    1A47D850-070F-49E2-92D0-DEC9CB61CFD8.jpeg
    613.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 243A7034-AE6E-49CB-A434-7C71FBD366DA.jpeg
    243A7034-AE6E-49CB-A434-7C71FBD366DA.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 21
If you look at my thread about the Ideal Dozen you'll see my 2, slow-feathering Black Langshan chicks. They turned out to both be boys.

At 12 weeks Ludwig only now finally has all his feathers:

0811210913_HDR.jpg

Back at 10 weeks he and, and even moreso Kung Pao (whom I lost in a freak accident), were still looking fairly naked.

Ludwig @10 weeks:
1628694264912.png

Kung Pao at 10 weeks:
1628694292275.png

Thank you. That gives me some hope. I've always thought that the naked one is a boy, but what I find strange is that comb and waddle wise, they both look about the same. I'm glad that at least one is a boy because you can't hear the long crow if it is a pullet.:)

Thank you. That gives me some hope. I've always thought that the naked one is a boy, but what I find strange is that comb and waddle wise, they both look about the same. I'm glad that at least one is a boy because you can't hear the long crow if it is a pullet.:)

There *are* slow-feathering hens, but they're less common. Supposedly a slow-feathering hen can be used to make sex-links. Experts tried to explain it to me but I'm not 100% sure I understood. :)

BTW, Ludwig is very handsome.

Thank you.

Kung Pao was more stately in appearance, but he freaked out over every disturbance -- the probable cause of his death. :(

I have two 8 week old Denizli Longcrowers and one of them does not have all its feathers. No tail, only fuzz where the tail should be, neck feathers and wings, but the rest is all chick fuzz. It looks like it is ok, eats and drinks fine and is always the one that greets me at the pen door when I bring the food to them. It is also the same size as the other one. I don't have pictures, because I'm at work, but I can post them later.

Does anybody know what could be the problem? It's not being picked on either, in fact, it seems pretty dominant. The other one is beautifully feathered. I wouldn't think too much of it if the other one wasn't fully feathered.

It seems like this is a very rare breed so I couldn't find anything about it, and when I looked for slow feathering, it looks like most of those chicks are smaller. This one looks like the other one except for the feathers. Even their combs and waddles are the same, although this one's may be a little bigger.
They look pretty okay to me, if you are worried you could feed them some boiled eggs to help with their nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom