Slow grower

SLA

Songster
Jan 15, 2021
All but one of our 8 three week old chicks are growing in size and feather. However, one of our 2 Rhode Island Blues is much smaller than the other (as well as our other breeds), and her feathers are coming in much slower than the others. She eats and poops well, runs around the coop with gusto and flies to the perches. Her development, though, looks so delayed. Is this common?

From my own experience with several different breeds that I've raised and hatched, I wouldn't say it's common, but slow growth (or even what I suspect was some type of dwarfism) can occur. Sometimes they catch up later, and sometimes they don't. I hope your girl is in the former camp. Best of luck!

Thank you! I saw some past threads addressing this and the outcomes varied. I did notice some new feathers today, which is promising.

We just noticed today that this chick has a pea-sized lump under her wing. We’ve no idea if there is a connection between this and her delayed development.

It’s hard to get a pic, but when I felt it, it was bony feeling.

We just noticed today that this chick has a pea-sized lump under her wing. We’ve no idea if there is a connection between this and her delayed development.
It’s hard to get a pic, but when I felt it, it was bony feeling.

Just to check the obvious--did you go feel under her other wing, and under the wings of several other chicks, to be sure it isn't something normal that you only now noticed?

No. Good idea! I’ll do that tomorrow. They are now snuggly asleep.😊

No. Good idea! I’ll do that tomorrow. They are now snuggly asleep.😊
I find it really helpful when I'm trying to figure out whether _____ is a problem.

Sometimes I'm just worrying about nothing, and other times the comparison helps me better understand how the thing is different than normal.

It is on both sides. She is so slow in wing growth, but keeps up with the others, eating well and pooping normally.

Back
Top Bottom