Slow grower

It is on both sides. She is so slow in wing growth, but keeps up with the others, eating well and pooping normally.
Do the others have it too? (the lump)

Sometimes chickens grow at different rates, and sometimes their feathers grow at different rates, but as long as they are healthy (active, eating, drinking, pooping, not being chased away from the food) you usually don't have to worry.

For feathers growing slowly, she might just have the "slow feathering" gene. That won't hurt her, but it will cause her feathers to come in slower/later than the other chickens get theirs. Once a chick finally does get their feathers, that gene doesn't seem to matter any more.

Do you have multiple feeders? She might be eating well when you are around but maybe when you are not she is being pushed around and cannot get to the feed consistently. Just a thought.

Do you have multiple feeders? She might be eating well when you are around but maybe when you are not she is being pushed around and cannot get to the feed consistently. Just a thought.

Good point!

One way to check: feel her crop a few times, especially at bedtime. If her crop is as full as everyone else's, then she's probably getting enough. A healthy crop is completely empty in the morning when it gets light, various amounts full during the day, and stuffed at bedtime. Baby chicks might not be empty in the morning if they had a light on all night, because that lets them eat at any time.

Sometimes chickens grow at different rates, and sometimes their feathers grow at different rates, but as long as they are healthy (active, eating, drinking, pooping, not being chased away from the food) you usually don't have to worry.

For feathers growing slowly, she might just have the "slow feathering" gene. That won't hurt her, but it will cause her feathers to come in slower/later than the other chickens get theirs. Once a chick finally does get their feathers, that gene doesn't seem to matter any more.
That's what I'm hoping. I think these bumps look more pronounced because of her lack of new feathers. She is a black chick so the whitish skin is more obvious. I did notice these in the other Rhode Island Blue who is normal sized so these might just be her anatomy.

Good point!

One way to check: feel her crop a few times, especially at bedtime. If her crop is as full as everyone else's, then she's probably getting enough. A healthy crop is completely empty in the morning when it gets light, various amounts full during the day, and stuffed at bedtime. Baby chicks might not be empty in the morning if they had a light on all night, because that lets them eat at any time.
I'll check her crop tonight.

Thanks for your replies. Her crop was full this evening, which is good. Still good energy level, but feather growth is slow and she’s smaller than the others. We’ll just keep watching.

Thanks for your replies. Her crop was full this evening, which is good. Still good energy level, but feather growth is slow and she’s smaller than the others. We’ll just keep watching.

I'm guessing she's fine.

If you want, you could weigh her, and also some of the others--having less feathers may be making her look smaller than she really is. Or you could decide that if she acts healthy, her weight doesn't matter :D

Back
Top Bottom