Slow hatch?

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I set 35 eggs. On day 15 before lockdown candled and all were dark meaning embryo developed. Day 18 two hatched day 19 two hatched. Four healthy babies. Early day 20 I very quickly scooped the babies out and moved to brooder since I was getting close to 48 hrs since first hatched. I feel confident that the humidity did not go too low for too long and no pips at all. Day 20 I still have 31 eggs not a single pip or wiggle. At what point do I give up on them? I was thinking of giving it to day 22 to see what happens or am I fooling myself? I swear this is like watching grass grow.

Do you have an independent, calbrated thermometer? If your using the machines thermometer, they are known to be unreliable and inaccurate. Sounds like you may have some cold spots in your incubator. Give it a few more days, then consider tossing them out.

I just have the one attached to the incubator. Yes I have a plan to buy a better thermometer before I try to hatch anymore eggs. Last time I had same issue and it was set at 99 so this time I set it at 100. We also had two power outages like day 8 & 9 each one was a few hours. I heard that can delay.

I would candle and look for signs of life. By this point it's not likely that more will hatch, but sometimes you get a really late one. They usually don't do well, though.

I candled again this time I was able to use a better flashlight and took the attachment off of my candler and put it on the flashlight. I can actually see this time and it was pretty clear that only five have development. I tossed 26 eggs. I will give these 5 one more day but pretty sure they are dead. No movement or sound.

Back
Top Bottom