slow, heavy pant?

maadroj

Songster
May 25, 2019
I've been nursing one of my quail after a serious head boink. He was very poor for about a week (unable to walk or hold his head up, falling over on his back, uninterested in food or water). After one week, he started to improve, and for the last few days has had a voracious appetite. But today he is weak again, and panting slowly but heavily. He has eaten some on his own, is able to hold his head up at least, and swallowed a little water I've offered through a syringe (but shaken most of it off into my face). So he hasn't quite reverted, but it's a huge, negative difference from yesterday. Is this panting, and if so, why? If not, what is it?

He's also gagging sometimes. If there is something stuck, how can I help him dislodge it?

I can't help but wonder if he doesn't have a concussion. Concussion can manifest in a lot of different ways, and is very common in birds that have smacked their heads into things. An apparent recovery followed by a sudden return of symptoms is also in line with what I've heard.

I'm not a vet, so make sure you do your own research, but I have heard that you can treat birds with aspirin and other simple over the counter anti-inflammatory medications, which reduces internal swelling. I doubt it would kill him if you tried giving him a little aspirin dissolved in water. But definitely google search treatments for bird concussion first.

@Jerank Thank you, I hadn't heard that about concussion symptoms returning. I have been giving him two drops of children's Motrin twice a day per an avian vet I spoke with, but I missed last night's dose, which may explain a regression. The panting is new, however, and very concerning. The vet hasn't seen him in person but thought it might be pneumonia.

@Jerank Thank you, I hadn't heard that about concussion symptoms returning. I have been giving him two drops of children's Motrin twice a day per an avian vet I spoke with, but I missed last night's dose, which may explain a regression. The panting is new, however, and very concerning. The vet hasn't seen him in person but thought it might be pneumonia.

Make sure he isn't being kept anywhere cold or moist. I'd change his bedding daily just to be on the safe side. Ill birds really need to be kept warm, as they lose the ability to generate as much heat from their tiny bodies.

Back
Top Bottom